Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch on Trailer *DONE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by perp, Sep 3, 2005.

1. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I am going to mount a winch on my trailer today. Its a 8000lb ramsey (older wormdrive). I am putting it on the front of the trailer because i know eventually I will need to load my truck after breaking something off road, and the ramps are way to steep for pushing it up. my question is that I bought this winch as you see it for $100 a few years ago out of a impound yard. it was laying underneath a truck (probably hidden by a previous employee). I want to mount it in front of the trailer jack and off slightly to the passenger side so the line will miss the jack. what kind of support does a winch need. i realize the obvious strength of the mount (MIN 3x the pull force) but i haven't seen one of these mounted in the past on anything so i jut want to make sure i support all the neccesary areas. Tell me if I am wrong but i think you need steel front and back so the clutch and drum do not try to walk away from the gearring? looks like the frt/Rr mounts bolts actually hold the parts together? I did search and found mostly pics of bumpers but no real details on the actuall mount points. any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

truck 056.jpg

truck 058.jpg

truck 059-1.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Do you have a model number on the winch? In the past I have found it easier for me to get a mount from ebay and make it work. Heck if you can find a mount for a heep it will just near bolt onto a trailer. Most jeep mounts are simple "L" style brackets since the 2 frame rails just protrude out. I got one last week for an 8274 for 25.00 then used two stub pieces of I beam to mount it to the trailer. The nice thing about that I do not have to drill the mounting holes for the winch in the plate... ;)

{hijack on} What model number is that PJ trailer and what is the deck width and height. Is it a bumper pull or pintle hook? Thanks {hijack off}

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

thats a good idea, I will look into the heep mounting idea. as for the trailer I will go look and get back with you in a few, but i know the deck is 96" outside to outside measured to the outer edge of the rub rails.

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

didn't see the last part of the question. It was a 2-5/16 ball bumper and i changed it to a pintle eye

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

heres a picture of what i mean by changed from ball to pintle. was real easy, only draw back is the ball coupler (top) is rated for 14,000# and the pintle eye is 12,000#! go figure. I use it in my business to haul tile and i run it behind several trucks, one of which only has a pintle hook, thats why i swapped it. this has been an excellent trailer and i would buy another one no problem.
    It is a little heavy, but the 2500HD chevy with a 6.0 & 4.10s hauls it all day long, and the CTD its on in the picture doesn't even realize its back there.
    hope this answers your questions,if not ask away

Specs:

18' long (deck)
    8' wide
    32" deck height
    15,680# GVW
    3,850# empty
    6' HD ramps stored in ass of trailer
    model # DE182 (from sticker on tounge)
    I paid $3400.00 before tax

truck 060.jpg

truck 061-1.JPG

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oooh!

That there is a Ramsey model 2000 or 2001 or thereabouts ... they make GREAT hidden winches for our trucks ... might wanna hang onto it.

I have one behind my bumper ... I can provide plans for the mounts to put it 'tween the frame rails. It's just angle iron and some flat stock. And a LOT of hardware :haha:

-- A

winch1.jpg

winch2.jpg

winch3.jpg

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

2 problems with your style winch. 1 is motor section on bottom. will make it so it needs to be up a bit , but o.k. for trailer use. 2 is you need to mount the winch dead center for the cable to spool up on drum corectly. or it will ball up on the one side. good luck. this is how i mounted my ramsey re6000 .

10k trailer 003.jpg

8. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I finally got around to mounting this thing and taking a few pics, i ended up cutting a hole in the deck for the motor and the square tube that ties it to the frame. the channel is C5x about 6 or so , i got it used so i am not sure on the weight but is beefy, and the tube is 3/16x2x2. now i need to make a battery box and figure out the charger wiring so it doesn't fight with my Break Away battery.

trailer Winch 001.jpg

trailer Winch 004.jpg

trailer Winch 008.jpg

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

looks nice. Nice tow vehicle!!! (I love my Dodge too!)

10. sweetk30

i went to local welding supply house and got 30' of 2/0 cable. ran it on frame to batt and back bumper. then whent to local fork truck shop and got 2 replacement ends for batt quick conect and the covers for when not in use. this gets me full power to winch from running truck and is just plug in and use it.

try this for parts to di what i did. www.awdirect.com and then part#sm-50 quanity 2, and sm-7b quanity 1. this with the cable is basicly all you need other than some zip ties to secure it and a big terminal end to conect to the batt .

11. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Sweet K30 - thanks for the tips and the cool web site link (in my favorites now). round about what did the cables cost you?

MXfireman - Is your Dodge a Diesel, if so have you done any performance mods to it? i am thinking about a chip/exhaust etc and am looking for advice from others as to what is real and what is hype

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Nope got the Hemi couldn't justify the diesel to the wife since she was the co-signer, I really wanted it though. A few guys out here are running the six gun and are raving about it. He also has the 4" exhaust. Have you been on towrig.com and looked into perfomance there for it?

13. sweetk30

no problem with the link. and friends dad owns the shop so i got the special deal of the day on cable. if you have a tractor supply thay sell it in bulk.

and my friend has a 04.5 cummins 600 series. he did lots of reading and best one every one likes is the edge. he got it and loves it the best unit. i can get the guys name he got it from at a smoking deal. he sells so many he geat discount buys and sells them cheeper to all of use.

14. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I'll check out Towrig and if you could get me the name of that guy selling the parts cheap that would be cool

15. sweetk30

16. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

thanks