Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch operation (normal?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was wondering if this is a normal thing for a winch. I have a Warn 12K that I bought used so I don't know if this is the way it is supposed to work.

Whenever the winch has a heavy load on it (I would guess above 3000lbs or so) and is pulling in it pulls fine, but if I stop pulling the winch lets the cable back out until lets off some of the weight.

I was pulling a treestump out with my K5 (heavy, 6000lb+ I would guess) I was winching in and my buddy was holding the brakes. The tree had enough root that the winch started to drag my truck up my driveway, so I stopped the pulling. During the pulling the winch loaded my front springs and pulled the nose of my truck down, and when the winch stopped the winch let out line until the springs had unloaded and the nose of my truck came back up.

Is this normal? Thanks

Harley

2. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

nope! Mine doesn't do that. Neither does Shawn's. I would call Warn. Sounds like something needs attention.

3. Hossbaby50

So it should hold all the weight until I let out right. That is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. It pulls like a beast but it lets some of it back out if you let off the switch. Thanks Toby.

Harley

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Sound like the brake is bad.

5. Hossbaby50

That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I bought the winch used form a friend of mine for a really good price so I can't complain. I knew something would probably need a little work. Sounds like Warn is going to be needing to send some parts my way. It will probably have to wait though. I still haveto get my truck running. Thanks

Harley