Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch options, reliability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Apr 8, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering how some of the brands other that Warn are. I would like a warn, but could definitly get a higher rating for less money if I went with someone like Mile Marker. I don't care about brand names, but I do care about the end product. I know electric would be convenient, but I've also got PTO's out the wazoo so I have that to consider. I don't have a clue about installing stuff on PTO's, and don't even know if it would be cheaper, or more reliable. And what happens when you submerse them in mud? Would the electric motors suffer?

So what, electric, PTO, or hydraulic? Warn, or something else?

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I think the fact that you don't ever hear anything bad about Warns (other than price) is a testament to their quality. If it were me and I'd decided on an electric winch, I'd wait until I could shell out a few extra bills for a winch with a reputation like that.

I know jack schitt about hydro and PTO winches, so can't help you there.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree 100% i have a warn 15,000 and had a warn 9,000 before that and NEVER hade a problem with either of them. i have heard about a lot of people having problems with the milemarkers and some people having problems with the superwinches also.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There are several guys in our club who went with the Milemarkers because of the cheap price, but none of them are satisfied with either the performance or reliability of them.
    - two 12k's have stopped working in less than a year (maybe 3-4 uses each) due to either fried solenoids or motors
    - it's very easy to damage the housing from the cable bunching up to one side as there is very little extra room around the spool.......almost impossible to do any type of side pull for more than a few feet
    - constant issues with unreliable remote control operation....constantly have to wiggle the connections and switched to make it work

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads got a PTO on his truck, and I'm really impressed with it.

The only problem with PTO that I can see for most, is that the engine has to be running to use it. Obviously an issue if your truck is buried to the hood in mud. :) Oh, and I'm sure it's heavy compared to an electric.

The best thing about it is that you can really vary how fast you spool and unspool the line.

Only time it's ever given him a problem is when I was a kid and kicked in the PTO "lever" and didn't say anything. Hop on the freeway, few miles later a "pop" and the PTO driveshaft had broken.

It's a Ramsey 8000lb one IIRC.

I would suspect out of all three types, PTO would ultimately be the most reliable.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, electric winches are probably the most versatile and easiest to install. They're kinda the standard and you probably know quite a bit about them.

The only things I know about PTO stuff is what I gather from helping on farms and I think a PTO would be the strongest and most reliable for the actual winch portion. The only problem, as previously said, is that your truck needs to be running to use one. If it's not, you just have that much more weight attached to your truck that's gonna need to get pulled out. Also, IMHO they're by far the hardest to mount and rig up because you're not working with flexible cables or hoses, you're working with d-shafts.

Being around hydraulics quite a bit, I know a reasonable amount about the systems, and if you're running full hydraulic steering or hydro assist and relying on your power steering pump for your hydraulic winch, either your steering or winch is gonna get starved. If you choose to run hydro I would recommend running an auxilliary pump, as much of a pain as it may be. Remeber, most OE steering pumps can hardly keep up with a 2" bore ram, adding a 12,000 lb winch on top of that wouldn't do great things. Remember also, unless you have an electric over hydraulic winch system, your engine will need to be running to power this system as well.

I love hydraulics for the sheer force, but I'll probably end up going electric on my rig so I can make an attempt at winching even if my vehicle is drowned.

7. globaljames

globaljames Registered Member

I saved up for a warn. A 9500 ti. It has proven its self to operate submerged in a sandy creek - and still work later on. Add to that one of those master pull ropes ( I have a navy equivelent lots cheaper and equally as strong/ durable) the whole rig with hitch mount weighs 60lbs or so. Never looked back or questioned my decision. James

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Stay away from Mile Marker they are junk

9. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Can't go wrong with the W. I have the M15000 and love it. The speed is slow, but so is an off-road recovery truck on a rainy weekend. I was all set for buying the MM hydraulic, but I do a lot of trail riding and hunting by myself (well only vehicle). I decided I would feel pretty dumb if I accidentally put it on it's side and couldn't winch it back on all fours. That's why I went with the electric.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

step one.... find a dozer.... step two.... unbolt winch... step three...run.
    J/k.. i think.

A dozer winch IMHO is the way to go although i have no clue if they are all electric or a mix... but i've seen 100,000 pound electric dozer winches mounted in the back of pickups.

Otherwise I would go with the warn. A sh$tty company can't build up that kind of reputation unless there is something to back it up... K and N's however is a whole nother story.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

(shaking head)

I have no constructive comments to make about the above post, other than the fact that most heavy equipment winches are hydraulic and weigh 1/4-1/2 of what your truck probably does.

12. crazy_cooter56

crazy_cooter56 Registered Member

well I just mounted up a 12,000 lb Ramsey electric winch on the front of mine tonight. I found it for $500 mounted on the winch bumper with roller fairleads and ready to bolt on. Couldn't pass it up. Maybe I'll get to try it out in the morning at the Badlands and I'll tell ya how it does.

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I was hella serious....LOL. seriously tho aren't there electric winches that are run on dozers? I have seen plenty of dozer winches and HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that all those winches weigh 1500-2500 lbs. :haha: :screwy: sure a d6 does but im talking small beans like a d4 on down. come to think of it i have seen an electric dozer winch out behind mary lake while they were building... it was on a small dozer and was only about 2- 2 1/2 feet in length.

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The biggest winch I've seen was on a tow vehicle for a C-5. I'm pretty sure it had a 50,000 capacity. I'll try to get a picture. I think it was hydraulic and it has to weigh 500+ pounds.

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think I'm gonna try and keep it small, I'd like to have a hidden one. The standard is 1.5 times your truck weight right?

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the member i got my pto from(dieseldan)(and its not on yet)

told me about guys who hit the shifter on the winch and the hook grabed the bumper and FOLDED THE TRUCK IN HALF!!!!!!

mine is ratreed for 7 000 lbs but we think the rateings are for LIFTING so the safty margen is 3 fold.

the truck being on has been touched on so you flip or submirge it your screwed. i plan on getting a warn for the front and running the pto out back.

the other thing is the ptos ARE HUGE!!!!!! i mean the thing is a foot high, and 2 1/2 feet long, the spool could hold prob 300 feet of 1/2" no problem, and its a beast to move around.