Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch owners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 1, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have a Warn winch with an intergrated solenoid, you can disreguard this post.

To the others:

My winch, like any other without intergrated solenoids uses two support rods that run across the top. Although in an ideal world, the cable would always spool onto the drum perfectly, mine never does with a load on it, and the cable rubs against the support rods and it first loosened and removed one of the rods, and today, it broke the winch.

I'm going to have to warranty my winch out and I've only used it three times. I'm seriously considering ditching this entire design of winch (it's not the brand name, it's the fact that it has too much cable for the size of the drum, but the big Warns are the same way).

Has anyone else had this problem?

If they will refund my money I'm going to just get an HS9500i as I don't really run mud anymore and a bigger winch won't do me much good.

This sure pisses me off though! What a crappy design!

Worst case scenario, I'm going to repair this one and remove about 20' of cable.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

what broke? the rod between the two halves?

Did it just ball up in the middle and untread the rods?

The place I use to work had scissor lifts on trailers that all had warn 9000's and some of them had some pretty bent rods but never seen on break.

This is your Mile marker 12K right? what size and length of cable came with it?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It didn't really ball up anywhere. It was going on pretty even actually, just not perfect as no winch ever respools itself perfectly unless you guide the cable that way. I was pulling my friend's K30 from frame deep mud and he has 39.5" Boggers, and it pulled him out no problem. I figured I should unspool the cable when I got back and re spool it up a little better, when I discovered that it broke the winch where that rod mounts.

Last weekend it un-threaded the rod the first time I used it.

This time it broke the part of the case where that rod mounts instead of unthreading it because I made sure it was tight before we went out.

Either I'm going to need a new housing half (the motor is in the other side) or this winch is going to be warrantied).

Either way I'm pissed about this whole thing, this is 100% crap if you ask me.

The winch has 100' of 3/8" cable which is all frayed and fishhooked from rubbing on that stupid chrome rod.

Yes this is my milemarker E12000.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Eh just fab up an upper assembly with a smooth concave face like integrated ones

I need to fab up soemthing anyway because the stock control box mounting setup blows

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is nothing to, "Fab" and no room to do so. My bumper completely encases my winch (which I designed it that way to protect it) and even so, there is no place anymore to bolt that support rod, it broke off.

I wonder how long the rest of the winch will work if I just leave that stupid support rod off and run it with only one.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The whole side of the winch broke off? Like chunked a big piece off? Got any pictures so I can clearly understand?

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sure is a good thing I didn't go with the MM12000. Have a Ramsey RE12000 and have used it quite a bit (10+) with no problems to date.

I hate to hear your having problems with your winch, goo luck.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A small area of the winch, maybe 1/2" by 1/2" broke off...just the corner where that support rod runs.

This really isn't a failure of the winch, just too much cable on the drum in the wrong spot killed it. I hope they warranty it, I'm going to find out tomorrow.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I do not think those rods serve any purpose once the winch is installed
    I havent seen that particular winch
    I thik you can bolt a tension plate to that spot to prevent the cable from nesting if it is the same as other winches
    common in industrial apps but unheard of in rec
    http://www.warn.com/industrial/tension_kit.shtml

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

did you have the roller fairlead on there?? isnt that supposed to keep it off the support bars?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am not so sure I could fit that tension kit inside my bumper. And even so from the pic you sent me, I fail to see how it keeps the rope from nesting. Either way, I'm worried about breaking my winch from not having those rods installed, they must be there for a reason and I wouldn't want to break the drum, in that case the whole damn winch would probably be junk.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    did you have the roller fairlead on there?? isnt that supposed to keep it off the support bars?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The cable did not pull on the support bars from the winching load. It bunched up below the bars from too much cable on the drum and broke the bar by pushing up on it.

And yes I have a roller fairlead, and yes it is installed and functional.

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

ow ok I under stand nowthe cable stayed in one spot and just kept wounding up then broke the support bar, it does sound like there was to much cable, I wonder why it would wind up in that same spot.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It didn't bunch up in one spot anyway. It was loading onto the drum pretty even. It just got 1 wrap too tall and broke the area where that support rod mounts.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It didn't bunch up in one spot anyway. It was loading onto the drum pretty even. It just got 1 wrap too tall and broke the area where that support rod mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is the flaw in that winch. It is using the same cable as the warn 12000 but is a bit shorter so there is less room for the cable (as you found to be sadly true). I wondered about that on those winches but didn't realize 1 extra wrap would do it. Bummer for ya. Even if you took of 25' of rope you will always have to watch it, unspool it, and spool it back even (all while needing to use it) cause that 25' will allow 1 extra wrap and the 2nd extra wrap will put you in the same place. I hear a nasty gram going to MM for their poorly planned design.

Just my .02

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that sucks dood,
    my bud had this 9000 ramsey off a flat bed (HUGE) behind the bumper on his furd, with only a 6" wide roller fairlead /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

once when i was buried up to my doors way the hell out in clay and he winched me in, it bunched all in one spot and it got so big the wrecked his rad chrushed three fins /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

oops, that really seems like a dumb desine flaw on your winch, hope thell set you up witha new one

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I talked to the guy from milemarker yesterday.

They are going to send me good used parts for free so I can fix it, all I have to do is send back the broken pieces and the serial number off my winch.

I am going to cut 20' or so of cable off. What the guy from MM said is that this is just a problem with 3/8" cable. It goes where it wants sometimes if you don't watch it, and I am not going to stand over my winch (which is in a hidden mount) and watch the cable spool.

He also said the solution is to move the fairlead forward or the winch back to achieve 12" of seperation and it will spool better.

I'm simply going to buy another hook and an eyelet, cut 20' or so of cable off, and use that in the future for an extension if I need it.

I doubt I'd ever use 100' of winch cable anyway.

I agree with you guys in a way. The MM E-12000 is a nice, compact design for being a 12,000 lb winch, but the size of the drum/distance to those support rods leaves something to be desired.

There are tradeoffs with everything....and I doubt I'll ever miss the 20' of cable I cut off anyway.

I'll post up pics of the broken parts when I get it taken apart.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for MM's tech guys though.

18. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I don't know about you, but I make it a practice to NOT stand over my winch while it is doing it's thing. I value my skin, my arms, and my head too mush to do something like that and I am very surprised that MM suggested that. But then again, it would be hard to sue without a head attached to your body should the worst happen.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I will tell you what I told him. I'm not watching my cable when it spools up on the winch. I'm inside the truck holding the remote. If I break the winch, oh well, its cheaper to replace than my head.

I dont stand anywhere near my winch when it operates. it is certainly capable of pulling on that cable hard enough to break it, and I want to be inside the cab or far outside its reach if possible.