Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mightywhitey_k5, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

how many Lb. winch should i need to pull my blazer out of any thing i might get stuck in. 12000 lb. waren is what i want but is it really what i need?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Rule of thumb is one and a half times the weight of your vehicle. I had a Warn HS9500i and it worked great! You should be good with a 9K# Or higher...

One thing that concerned me was line speed. When you get into the cheaper winches and larger winches, the line speed is sometimes very slow.....

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what type of terrain to you wheel in? in general terms, mud is going to put the most strain on a winch... nothing harder than trying to pull a rig buried to the frame in mud. For that kind of use, you'll want the biggest (highest # rating that is) winch you can afford. For not-so-muddy trail and/or rock use you could use a lighter winch and get away with it. Plenty of people use the warm 8274 of fullsize rigs, for example. Unless you do mud, I'd recomment something between that and the 9500# winches... oughta be enough.

j