Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch question. dual batteries necessary?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Jul 10, 2005.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking into winches here... 9000 or 12,000 lb warn.
    My question is would this work okay on just my single battery, or should i get a dual battery setup going with the other battery dedicated for the winch?
    I remember watching guys in the tank trap last year, and one of em killed thier battery winching. so i had to run up to my truck and remove my battery for him.
    Would i be best off going straight to a dual battery setup if installing a winch???

Thanks.

2. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

i have a warn 9000i and i have a kirkland (costco) battery and 4 kc daylighters up top and i do fine, i was thinking about the dual batteries too.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much have you used your winch?
    I'm talking like 6 or 8 mudpits in a row each winching for several minutes. (tank trap)
    i'm thinking that dual batteries would be on the safe side..

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dual batts is always gonna be "best". For a long time I was just gonna run one really good battery for my 8274... cause I don't really have much in the way of electrical goodies (no power anything, no extra lights, no stereo at all etc)... but after a good amount of research, I've decided to go dual. I am just going to use a normal/decent starting battery (i have a diehard gold right now) for everything else, and I got a hawker battery for the winch. Its the industrial version of the battery that won the fastest-winch-pull part of a battery comp that was in Petersens a while back. Now all I need to do is decide what kind of isolator/switcher to run.

j

5. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

i dont use it alot lol once in a while when i get stuck. :(

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Buy a yellow top and be done with it. I have winched many times, sometimes 50 feet and it has never flinched.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have a single red top with a warn M10,000 and i winched myself probably a half mile with it up some steep stuff with the winch about ready to stall out and my truck in 2wd and i never had a problem. I did need to raise the idle a few times and let the battery recharge but that was it.