Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Mar 14, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I've been contemplating getting a winch for a while now.
    Looking at the HS9500i by Warn.
    I just have a question on mounting it... can you mount a winch without having to buy a aftermarket bumper or mounting kits?Also is it rpetty easy to hook up? Like all the wires and what not? Thanks

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

they are very easy to mount and wire if you dont want to buy a bumper go with the multi-mount like i did i have pics in the link below in the album my blazer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm running the same winch, been super happy with it. Hook up couldn't be easier. One positive wire and one negative wire to the battery, plug in you controller and go. You could make your own mount, or buy one. I think the warn classic is the cheapest at about$275??? It's also one of the weakest, but it will get your winch mounted. The middle is sturdy(where the winch mounts), but the sides won't take much of a hit. I had one for 6 months now and it's been fine, but I can see it bending easily with a hit.

4. sagechicken

sagechicken Registered Member

I think the HS9500i is a good choice. I have an 8000Ib warn I bought about 4yrs ago and have been real happy with it. I have it on a muti-mount which has saved my butt alot by being able to pull from the rear. I can also use it on my other rides if need be. The drawbacks are 1. store bought front receivers are to low, and 2. itcan be a real pain in the a$$ lugging that thing from the back of the truck to mount it in the front in a foot of mud!! (facing up hill of course!)