Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Philly87, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Will an 8000 pound winch be enough for a K5? I'm not to sure about winches. Friend of mine wants about $300 for one that he says is almost like new. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Phil

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think that would be a bit small. Better than no winch but a bit small.
    I use a Warn HS9500i and so far it has worked out just fine.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it is on the small side but that is a good price /forums/images/icons/smile.gif just make sure you have a few snatch blocks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

depends on the 8000 winch. I personally think that the warn 8274-50 is the best electric winch out there for our uses. Blazingly fast, double lines at 16,000 pounds, and has 25' more cable. I think it's the most rugged and best design. But all the other 8000 winches I've seen wouldn't work long term on a heavy truck, imo.

btw, if you get an 8274 for $300 it's a steal. If you dont buy it, let me know and I will. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The general rule for winches is 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle with all tools, supplies, spare parts, gas, people, etc. counted in the vehicle weight. An 8000lb isn't bad, especially for the price offered, but stronger is better. I would buy it, use it, see what you think, and if you think it isn't enough then sell it for $300 and buy a Warn 9500 or better.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For that price, I would jump on that like a rabid rat!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

If you find that it's not "big" enough for your type of use, put it up on eBay and double what you paid for it. There's always a sucker on eBay. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys. I know it's a WARN but I'm not sure about the part number. He says it's an older one but not sure how old. Are there any issues with that?

Phil

8. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I have a X8000i on myblazer and it never let me down and it worked great. Now I have the winch of the blazer on my 86 3/4 ton on 36. Its a tad to small but it gets the job done. See the winch in action <a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/k5blazerus>http://www.community.webshots.com/user/k5blazerus</a>

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

For $300 bucks I would do it. I have a 8000 pound winch and while I wish is was stronger, its strong enough that I dont pay for a larger one.