Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Questions (no I'm not asking for marital advice)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sodfarmer, Oct 16, 2005.

1. sodfarmer

sodfarmer Registered Member

2 ?'s. What winches do ya'll run on your trucks? 2nd I may have a lead on a 8274 Warn that does not work. I think it may just need some attention to the solenoids as the cover is broke. Anyway is $100 too much for an inoperable winch and if the motor is toast is a replacement available and how much is it?

Sorry for all the ?'s :confused:

Thanks, Breton

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an 8274 that I just mounted today. $100 for an inop 8274 is a GREAT price barring a broken case or something disastrous like that. There are lots of winch motor auctions on ebay that go for $100-$150 but I doubt the motors are quality.

3. sodfarmer

Another question, is 8000 lbs pull enough for a burban?

4. mikey_d05

I think you're gonna find that it's a very subjective question. In a planetary style winch most people would probably say no, in an 8274 most people will probably say yes.

Check out the latest issue of 4WOR, there's an Australian endurance challenge in there and lots of people are running 8274's. Quite a few are even running two motors stacked end to end. Quite a testament to the durability of the winch itself.

5. sodfarmer

yeah I saw that article also. I guess if it's not enough I could use a snatch block to double the line and still have reasonable line speed.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Here's another vote for "go for it"

I got my 8274 for $75 w/out a motor. A new motor, some new bearing & such for another $180 and she works like a charm!

Mike

7. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I run an M8000 that's held up well on my K10, picked it up for a price I couldn't say no to. Make sure you have a long line and a snatch block though.

Really want an M12000 for my K20.......

8. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

GO FOR IT! New motors can be had @ DB Elictrical rebuildersThey are here that winch will be be plenty strong for a Burb. :bow:

9. mikey_d05

$160 for a new motor with a warranty, solenoids aren't hard to diagnose or replace if neccessary, throw in new cable and a new hook and you'll still be way ahead of what I paid. :bow:

10. sodfarmer

Well I've finally settled on a price. $150 for a non working 8274. Are there any simple tests to make sure the mechanical is in good shape. The electrical does not worry me at all after reading your posts.

I've thought of ordering the permanant Winch control panel from the 12 volt guy. Does anyone have experience with this. Also How much for a warn remote

thanks breton

11. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

$150 is a good price for it...Put it in and take it out of gear and give it a spin by hand.Should move all parts. I picked up an 8274 a couple of weeks ago for $50,a new end support assembly was needed, $78 from 4wheel customs (a great vender here) bought a new cable and fairlead,changed the oil in it and it's like new...Great winch you'll be money ahead.:D

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run a Warn 12K on the front of my truck. I bought it used and it works great except the brake won't hold more then 4000lbs so it will let line out if you stop pulling. A new brake is $140 so that is an easy fix once I stop cheap skating and spend the money. I really like my Warn 12k. Its only drawback is it is very slow. It will pull a house but it won't do it quickly.

As far as an 8K winch for a Burb I would say no unless it is an 8274. This is of course assuming that you wheel hard enough to get it stuck hard. I have been stuck in spots that most 8K winchs would have left me sitting there (without a snatchblock).

Harley

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got a burb and a 8274 and it has NEVER left me stuck. I also have 12voltguy's in-cab controls also and love it. Mounted mine here:

[​IMG]

Now I can use the in-cab or the regular remote :thumb:

15. mikey_d05

Also, if you buy the motor for a 9.5 XP and the correct pinion gear, you can mate it to your 8274. 9.5 XP motors are 6 hp whereas the early 8274 motors were only 2.5.

16. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Id like more info on this. Are there any writeups on the swap?

I also have an 8274 that I got for free. Changed a solinod that was cracked, would power in but not out. Then one day it started powering out. :confused: I still need to pull it apart and go through it but for now it works great.

17. mikey_d05

The guy on pirate that did it didn't have pictures but I'm gonna try and get some to verify the swap.

He said that the 9.5 xp motor (p/n #68608) would mate up to a splined 8274 pinion gear (p/n #15879). If you have a splined motor and pinion gear then all you would need is the motor. But the older 8274's (mine) have a keyed motor shaft and pinion gear which neccessitates the swap.

Like I said, I'll try and get more information and verify everything, but it definitely appears that it would work. If you did this swap...your winch would have even more power than a brand new 8274-50 :D

Also, when I unpacked my 8274, it refused to power in or out for the first 30 seconds or so it was hooked up, but then it worked like a dream...I'm gonna go through it and rebuild it eventually but it works for now so I'm not too concerned.

18. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Mine didnt power out for a good 4-5 trips, laid the blazer on its side, righted it, then it worked. :confused:

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Usually a couple good wacks with a screwdriver handel will free up a stuck selonid. Still probably should be replaced as time/money allows.

20. sodfarmer

Thanks for all the info! How much is a warn remote if I chose to go that route?