Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Oct 4, 2001.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Id like to get a winch before winter. I need to know what size to get ( Im thinking 8000#?). Is there one manufacturer that is better, or one I should avoid? any info is appreciated.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Most guys here will probably say Warn is the best, and I would agree 100%. I posted on this board yesterday a 9000 lb new Warn winch for sale here in Portland, OR. Check it out.........probably could get it for $500.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I was in the same spot last winter and I had a choice between Ramsey and Warn. Warn has the new line speed on a HS9500i but Ramsey has the Worm drive style. So I contacted both companys and Ramsey never returned any of my emails wile Warn sent me stickers &amp; pamphlets. Then I went to a local 4X shop that had open examples of both. The gears on the Ramsy looked stamped and the Warn looked more machined and precision type stuff.
    I bought Warn HS9500i and have used it several times for work and pulling rigs out.So far it's worked perfict!!
    Warn ROCKS!
    Oh and they say a winch should atleast be 1 1/2 times the wight of your rig.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Warns service and warrenty is the best in the business. I don't think I have ever heard any negative comments on Warns customer service. I have a HS9500 and the line speed is great, no problems so far but the first real test will be this winter. For the cost difference, I would not go below a 9K for a K5.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

all I say is warn I have a 8000xi winch and never let me down. just ask jason AkA blue Beast.
    colin

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have the warn xd9000i on a warn multi-mount and love mine if i had the money though i would get the hs9500i it has a high speed retrive i just got to good a deal on mine brand new $440[​IMG] i have pics of mine and the multi-mount in the album my blazer in the links below

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

stamped worm drive gears??
    i wouldnt run a planetary winch. the stamped steel pieces that hold the planet gears look flimsy and the need for a brake(read wearing item) are 2 negatives.

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

They are probably drop-forged.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the main gear should be brass cant remember what the worm is, steel of some kind??

10. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've had 2 Warn winches and they both were GREAT. Warn's model 8274 is probably their best 8000# winch and is a real work horse. Great line speed and 150' of cable. I now run their 12,000# winch on my K5 and wouldn't be without it. 125' cable and pretty good line speed.

A good firm grip is my idea of gun control!