Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevBlazin, Oct 6, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Thinking of getting one and have a few questions. I live in MN and will peobably see a fair ammount of salt. Is it ok for the winch to see all that, is there a way to protect it? My other question is about how to mount it. I really like the look of the stock bumper, has anyone ever used those mounts that plug into a reciever? then I could use it in the back also. And last, Warn sells a grille gaurd/ winch mount called the "combo mount". Does anyone have a pic of one on a K5, or for that matter a pic of the removable one also? thanks

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running a warn xd9,000i winch on a warn multi-mount setup and i love mine i can go front or rear and also put it on another vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif pics are in the link in my sig /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Is that multi mount mostly a bolt on deal. It appears you put a hole throught the bumper where the liscence plate goes. I like that the reciever is behind the bumper and not below it making it low to the ground. How much was the multi mount kit and what should I expect to pay for a winch like that.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes i cut the hole in the bumper up high to keep a good aproach angle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif the recever is welded to the frame. the warn multi-mount cradle that holds the winch was $140 from 4wpw. the winch is around $750-800 but i would go with the hs9,500i if i could do it again that one is $850-950

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Road salt is pretty ruff on just about everything, including the winch - or so I would think. I know there are covers that are avalible, that would probably help.

One of the guys at work has his winch mounted behind the stock front bumper, he welded in a plate between the frame rails and has a notch cut out of the stock bumper- behind the licence plate, for the cable. He says he hasn't had any problems with it (If I recall correctly, it's a Warn 8000, with the cylinoid pack mounted under the hood).

I've been stuck on the front bumper before, a low-mounted winch would not have helped out, even if I had one at the time.