Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch rope?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Jul 10, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had a couple of pieces of Amsteel Blue that came with the 8274 I bought a while back and so I decided to make an extention out of one (its 65' long or so). Anyway, I went to the marine supply place and got a couple of stainless steel thimbles and, using the splicing guide on pirate, I knocked it out in a half hour or so. Seems to have worked purdy well. This has me thinking though, since it was so easy to do, maybe i should save myself some $$$$ by buying some bare Amsteel Blue from a marine supply place (or direct from Samson) and make some winch lines. To get a decent price, I guess you usually have to buy either 300' or 600' (half or a full spool). I don't want that much.... anyone be interested in a group buy? I haven't even found a local supplier of the stuff yet... but I'm sure there is one somewhere in the greater portland area. Just thought I'd see if there was any interest.

j

ps: is it me or has this forum been kinda dead lately? :crazy: :(

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I might if the price is right.. :D

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

how much was 300' of it?

4. jekbrown

I hear ya. :) not sure if I made it clear or not, but this would be a zero profit adventure. Not trying to score a bunch of ca$h, just want a good winch line for my rig. anyone else? good thing about winch lines, they are usually pretty long, so its not like we'd need a bunch of people to get to...300/600'. :laugh:

btw, I just noticed that the maker of Amsteel Blue, Samson, has its Headquarters in up near the Washington/BC boarder. Wonder if we could buy some direct and just pick it up? :laugh:

j

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

how much for 300' ??????????????

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

MY HD holds 100 feet of wire.. Can you get more on with the rope????

7. jekbrown

i dunno hog, haven't begun the distributor search yet... I just know from talking to peeps that have bought in bulk b4 that it tends to come in 600' spools... and most of the bigger distribs want to sell it by the half or full roll.

AFA how much you can fit on your spool, there is a calculator in the pirate recovery gear bible that shows you how to figure out how much your winch's spool will hold. The rope I'm getting will be 3/8"... I'm hoping I can score it for $1.50/ft or less. I know finished winch ropes from the smaller vendors tend to be in the $2/ft+ range. For my 8274 I need somewhere between 125 and 140 feet. Depends on whats left on the big spool I guess.

j

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I'd go in on it. Already have rope on mine (Warn 12000#), but always good to have extra. 125' minimum for mine IIRC

9. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i would definately want a piece of that action lemme know what you find out if you decide to look into it further... :D

10. jekbrown

good to see there is some interest. Time to start callin around I guess...

j