Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch??s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Sep 2, 2001.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to buy a winch. I was wondering what kind, and what size. My Jimmy no longer has a fiberglass top, no glass, half doors. It does have a full cage though. I still would say it weighs about 400 lbs lighter than stock.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

I suggest the Warn XD9000i or the HS9500i,they work great.If you need more pulling power just make sure you have a snatch block with you.

chevrules...always has and always will

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I'm a little pissed at Warn right now, so I'm going to recommend a Ramsey Platinum. Either 9000 or 9500 will have plenty of guts for your application.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

4. DesertDueler

Do you guys think the Ramsey REP8000 is any good, or will be enough. I just found a company thats selling them for 500 bucks. Just dont want to pass up a smoking deal.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Wow, that is a good deal. What company it that?

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

6. DesertDueler

National Tire &amp; Wheel has them. My vehicles

7. i would go for a higher rating that 8000lbs. my buddy i go muddin with has an 8000lb warn on his first gen. and we max it out all the time. i would go 10k or more. just my opinion

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a warn xd9,000i multi mount and love mine but if i didnt get such a smokeing good deal on mine i would have got the hs9,500i it is faster and is 9,500 instead of 9,000

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

9. DesertDueler

That Ramsey has a 3.6 hp motor. It also comes with 95 ft of cable.

10. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I have a warn 8000xi winch on my blazer and it has not let me down yet. I have done some pretty hard pulling on it and it did not stall out and was warm to the touch put all I can say it works wonders for me if you want to ask bluebeast about it.
    colin

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

11. DesertDueler

Anybody else use a 8000 lb winch?

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya, I run an 8274 Warn 8000. Its a very strong winch, but with the Jimmy buried to the mirrors in good ol Alberta skeg, its pretty much doin all she can do to get me out. If you use an 8000, I recommend carryin a snatch block with you. You will definately need it.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

13. DesertDueler

Not a whole lot of mud here, but we have to winch up verticle rock ledges and things like that. Luckly I dont have that extra weight of mud that you have to pull out.

14. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I think Warn winches outright suck! Execpt for the M8274, that because it's completely different from the rest. From personal experience the ones that tend to be the least reliable are there winches that have an intergrated solenoid, but I've also seen the 10,000 lb fail too. That is why I don't like Warn. Get a Ramsey RE series winch these are stronger since they are driven by a worm gear they're a little slow, but very reliabile.

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

15. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

agreed warn sucks since they dont offer worm drives anymore. Ramsey RE10000 or 12000 or a Pierce sales 12500 as they are dirt cheap.

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know what faild on the "internal" realy style winches, I would assume the realys?

I would think that what kind of winch you choose, depends on how you would use one. I'm talking about the style, not the pull rating, here.

If you in the "rock crawling" scene, and just need an extra nudge. Then the H.S. planatary style winches would be the way to go. (thats the path I've chosen)

But, If your stuck to you rockers in mud, and need every once of pulling power you can get. Then go with the "worm" gear driven winches.

As far as brand names, I've heard it go back and forth. So I kinda think it's end up to be "sixes", eaither way (Ramsey vs. Warn, that might be an intereasting poll to make in the future)

Sometimes life just makes you want to say,
    "F*bleeeeeeeeeep*K !"

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

17. DesertDueler

Twiztid, Which winch did are you using, and what size.

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I went with a Ramsey Platinum 9500. Weighs in at about 100 lbs, which is about mid-pack I think. I didn't want a hole lot of weight hanging off the front end. As it is, it's current duty is to winch in dead soldiers into the garage, so it hasn't really seen any hard use yet. But, just goofing around with it, it seams to be really fast, but slows down noticibly with a modest load. (thats w/o an alternator and just about 30 feet of cable spooled out.)

Unfortuenetly, thats really not much help to ya, but thats what I've got.

<font color=purple>Sometimes life just makes you want to say,
    "F*bleeeeeeeeeep*K !"</font color=purple>

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

19. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

get a ramsey RE-12,000 like me and hang your k5 from a tree there are many deals out there last i checked nortrhern tools was sellen then for $999.99 but keep in mind that the ramsey RE series are called front mount winches, this means they bolt from the front and back not the bottom so make sure your bumper can handle it.

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The REP 8000 is a very slow winch! And I talked to Ramsey a while back and they said that is a little small for our rigs!

I went with the Warn HS9500i and I have nothing but good to say about it and would recomend it!!!!

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>