Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WINCH SAFETY PLEASE READ!!!! COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok recently there was some test done on a winch. Seems Mile Marker Contracted a Company in Atlanta to test the Warn 9000 and some testing of the 9500.
    While I think the way they tested the winch does not reflect how we use it there was a VERY interesting point that was brought up. Seems that MANY of the winches we use are rated more than the cable that is supllied with them can handle. This means the cable on the first wrap of the drum will break before the winch stalls and poses a safety hazard that you need to be aware of. If your REAL stuck you need to strongly concider double lining to lessen the risk of the cable failing and possibly injuring somebody. Most of the winch that are rated 9k and above are effected regardless of the manufacture.
    Here is some E-Mails that were exchanged among the club I'm a member of, The Gerogia Bounty Runners.
    The original coraspondence with Warn
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 10:23 AM
    To: Ralph
    Subject: RE: Winch Test

Hi Ralph,
    We ourselves have recently become aware of this report. We have
    given it to our engineering dept. for review. We also have concerns and
    questions about these Milemarker sponsored test results. We believe
    these
    were "dead head tests", where the tests and the results are not an
    indicator
    of real world results. We have made quality winches for 40 years. We use
    the
    best wire rope, and they do meet the requirements and specifications
    for
    these winches at the rated loads. I have included your Email address on
    the
    list of folks we will be providing information to on this subject, once
    our
    engineers have completed their review. We will be back to you with
    further
    information in the future.

regards,

Mike Wilson
    WARN Technical Services
    Phone- 503.722.3044
    Fax - 503.722.3000

> -----Original Message-----
    > From: Ralph
    > Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 5:25 AM
    > To: csals@warn.com
    > Subject: Winch Test
    >
    > Just curious to know what Warn's response to this is? I have a
    HS9500i
    > and have encountered no problems after several winches, although I
    doubt
    > I've had it anywhere near capacity.
    > communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s

Grim-Reaper

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

when i am pulling myself out i am in the cab. everytime i have broken a cable it has gone way over the roof of the truck. i have good footage of an Aussie getting a cable accross the bridge of his nose. he was lucky as a few other people were hit in the arms and legs so they somewhat diminished the force his face took. it is on the TransPen '94 or '95 video i recorded off of speedvision.

3. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

Grim thank you for the time in looking all this up for us it's people like you that make this site what it is thanx man real GOOD info. [​IMG]

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the safety reminder when using winches. I have seen a steel cable snap before, and the speed and force that results is truly something to respect. If someone were standing in the wrong place, a direct hit from the snap back could easily cause death or dismemberment.

Have you seen the new winch lines offered by Master-Pull? I think they offer a much saver solution. This line, known as plasma rope, is made of Ultra High-Moleculear-Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE). It is stronger than steel cable and has very little stretch. When it breaks, it tends to drop to the ground, unlike the whip back from a steel cable.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.masterpull.com/>http://www.masterpull.com/</a>

There's a write-up on the Master-Pull Winch Lines in the September issue of Four Wheeler on page 132.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I recently got to look at some. Freaky stuff! Soft as can be, flops around like clothes line. Weirds people out when they see it get used but the guy loves it. Never gets bird nested and never gets splinters. BUT PRICY!

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Saw some on an old Land Rover this summer, man it looked weird. But, if it does all Master Pull says it does I think it's a great option.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is there a website or somewhere to get a look at this line? Sounds pretty cool. [​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, broken steel cable under tension will f**k your day up. I know a guy who witnessed a cargo winch cable break while pulling a helicopter into a C-5 cargo plane. The helicopter was being pulled up the nose ramp, and the winch is located in the floor of the rear ramp. The cable broke right at the end fitting, went the whole length of the cargo bay (over 100ft), and hit the rear ramp doors hard enough to break the aircraft's skin and a reinforcing rib. He said it sounded like a rifle shot, even over the noise of the APU's. It's now against Air Force regulations for personnel to be in front of the cargo being winched into a C-5.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Gandolf already posted it but it's <a target="_blank" href=http://www.masterpull.com>www.masterpull.com</a>

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG][​IMG] OOPs, missed it!!!

Thanks Blazerguy

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I was wondering about the heat problem my winch is mounted between the frame rails almost right under the frame rails! The max heat this line likes is 275 or so. Also how does it hold up to rocks and such. Almost ever time I use a winch the line is in to the rock at some point during the pull or a tree or something. As for the cost new cabel is about 1/2 but 5/16 cabel has a low break point. SO should it be compaired to 3/8th for the 5/16 line? Lastly maby we could get Steve to set up something though the membership.

Spec.TECHNICAL DATA
    Specific gravity 0.98
    Melting point 284 F
    Critical temp.150 F
    Elongation at break 4%-%5
    UV resistance excellent
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by blazer72 on 08/14/01 11:17 AM.</FONT></P>

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

They are much less abrasion resistant than steel, it is important to put a floor mat, etc, against any rocks that it is sliding on. As for trees, you shouldn't be doing that in the first place.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You could put a piece of sheetmetal above the winch drum to act as a heat shield of sorts.
    Or you could put the sheetmetal under the radiator (assuming that's the heat source you're talking about), above the winch.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

14. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Motor, radiator all of that is close by and can be above 200 deg. Just think would it live on my winch or not