Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Selection??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DaveCowley, Jun 25, 2002.

1. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at winches. Since I need to do a multi mount setup there are really three options. Warn 9000i for $1100, 8000i for $1000 and Warn 3500 lb Receiver pull kit for $550. I know that I have a big vehicle being a K5 but I can count the amount of times that I have needed a winch on 2 fingers one time stuck in a lake but not stuck bad, A Jeep Comanche with stock axles pulled me out /forums/images/icons/smile.gif, the other time my friend and I could not get up rocker knocker on Pritchett Canyon for the life of us but as close as I was to climbing it, it wouldn't have taken much to pull me up it. I guess really what I am asking is how hard does a 3500 lb winch pull because I have never needed a lot of pull to get out of any situation that I have been in but it would be nice for security sake. Would it be dumb to buy such a small winch?
    Thanks

Dave Cowley

88 Jimmy 1 ton locked on 36's

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Would it be dumb to buy such a small winch?

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green">
    Yes. Your truck weighs over 3500 pounds, which means that the winch would stall on the smallest hill or the easiest stuck. Not only that, but people would laugh and point at you. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif 9000lbs is the smallest winch you should be looking at.</font color>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have the warn xd9000i multi mount and have stalled it out twice/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif i would either get the xd9000i or the hs9500i the hs9500i is a lot faster than the xd9000i also you are getting jiped at $1100 for the multi mount and xd9000i the multi mount is only $150 at 4wheel parts and the xd9000i is just over $800

4. DaveCowley

I do know that my truck weighs a whole lot but correct me if I am wrong. A Jeep Comanche weighs about 3500 lbs and he pulled me out of my worst stuck so far. My truck does carry it's own weight for the most part just needed a little extra a few times so I don't expect the winch to lift the weight of my vehicle but I just need it to pull me about as good as a jeep could.

Dave Cowley

88 Jimmy 1 ton locked on 36's

5. DaveCowley

How much were you stressing your 9000i to get it to stall?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A Comanche may only weigh 3500 pounds, but unless you're just using it as dead weight over the side of a cliff or something that doesn't matter. It matters how much force it can exert on you, which is more a matter of traction and power then weight. Another truck pulling you is really a different game than a winch pulling you, for a lot of different reasons. If you're using a proper tow strap then there's some stretch in it, so when the tow rig starts pulling it stretches the strap, increasing the force it's exerting on your truck. Also, when you are being pulled by another truck, assuming your truck is running, the other truck can quickly accelerate and continue assisting you when you start getting traction, so you can pop out of the holes you dug and the pulling truck immeadiately pulls you fast enough to help keep you from sinking again. With a winch it can't accelerate and keep helping you, it just goes slack and you sink again, then the cycle repeats.

Don't know if any of this made sense /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . Anyways, to each his own, but 3500lb winches are marketed as ATV winches for a reason... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif </font color>

7. mudhog

i was pulling the rear tires up and over a rock on a hill with the motor not running /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif and the other time i was pulling my buddys bronco out of a water hole after the engin stalled /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i would still highly sugest the xd9000i or the hs9500i both are awesome winches and ya you might not need it that often but when you do it is sure nice to have it also you might not get stuckenough to stall it out but what if you need to pull a friend out when he or she is realy stuck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I would defently not go with the 3500. I have a 2000 winch on my atv and there is a big difference between an atv and my 1/2 ton pickup. Yea it is more expensive to get the 9000lb winch but you will do better in the long run. By the way I almost stalled my atv winch when I got stuck in a mud hole a few weeks ago. Motor was straining hard. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

Hey thats just my $0.02, do whatever makes you happy.

Don /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

As I have been doing a lot of research on winches recently (just bought a HS9500 Saturday), I have a few comments I would like to throw your way. Take them as you will.

A winch is like a rollcage. It is an insurance policy you hope you never really need to use. But, if and when you do, you don't want it to fail. EVERYONE will tell you that the right sized winch is extremely important. The general rule is 1.5 times your GVW. For a rig like ours, 9000+ would be recommended with 8000 lb as the absolute minimum. If you were to get stuck in the mud, it will exert a force equal to the weight of your truck. So, you 5000 lb rig now needs a 10,000 lb pull to get out (that is in general, not always). If you have rear tires stuck over a ledge and need to pull the rig up and over, you will need to exert a similar amount of force to get out of the situation. You could save $300-400 by buying a smaller winch, but how much have you wasted when the one you bought is useless in the times your really need it?

I may light some fires with this one, but I also would NOT recommend the receiver-mounted winches. My reasoning for this is rather simple. The limit on a Class III hitch (without weight distribution, which the multi-mount doesn't have) is 5,000 lbs. If you have a winch rated to 8 or 9k but are connecting it to a 5,000 lb platform, does that make you wonder a little? And you are channelling all the force of pulling your rig (or someone else's) through a single 2" square receiver secured with a pin. And, do you have a hitch up front? If not, you are limited to always pulling from the rear. How many times does anyone ever find it advantageous to pull from the rear? Very seldom. Buying a multi-mount system will run you an extra $150 to 200. If you have to add a hitch up front, add another $150-200 for the class III receiver. That's a total of $300-500 more than the basic winch. For that you could probably get a winch-ready bumper or a custom-fabbed installation. Obviously Warn thinks these mounts are okay or they wouldn't sell them, but I know that, while it's great in principle, I wouldn't want to use a 8 or 9000 lb winch to "un-stuck" a 5000+ lb rig by attaching to a 5000 lb platform!

The key with a winch is do it right the first time. Get the right kind of power and mount it securely.

Just my .02

10. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Thats why put my HSi9500 on a double receiver system i built into both my front and rear bumpers /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I always prefer the rear mount.
    1 my pickup is already way too front heavy
    2 i usually bury myself in a forward direction
    I dont think I have ever regretted rear mounting my winch

12. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I just got stuck a couple of weeks ago in the local river /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , I sunk my front end in the sand at the waters edge /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif . My bumper was under water and one front tire was completely under the sand, the other was half buried in the sand and completely under water, the rear was sunk from my trying to back out. I had 60 feet of tow strap out and all 80 feet of cable off the winch on my buddies dodge, I was aired down to about 5 lbs of tire pressure, and while I tried backing he pulled with the winch. We stalled the winch without moving my k5 at all /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . He has a 10,000 lbs. warn winch on the front of the old Power Wagon, AND WE STALLED IT /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . It took a D9 cat to get me out, I'm glad the neighbors have a big dozer /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have never stalled my hs9500i.. My cable broke once(got cuaght on the ubolt when I was trying to straighten out my tierod. The cable snapped and the winch was still pulling!

My vote is for the hs9500i!

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

One thing you have to take into consideration when you are winching is tha you are not just winching the vehicle weight, you are pulling more weight since something is"holding" on it(it is stuck). If you were pulling the vehicle across a perfectly flat surface, then you would be pulling about 3500#(but then more varibles come into play!)..

I owuld go with at the very minimum a 9000 llb'r.... I have the hs9500i and I love it! I was pulling a CJ5 up and out of a mud hole one day and it pulled me to him since it was slippery. So we blocked the wheels(all 4) and it pulled the blocks too. then I had my Bro in his K5 come over and hook to the back of me and we block all 4 of his wheels also, it pulled both of us. So finally we got a fullsize Dodge to come over and he hooked to the other side of me in the rear and blocked his tires. The winch actually pulled all three of us towards the Jeep for about a foot or two and then one of the trucks grabbed hard and it started pulling the Jeep out!!!!!

15. mudhog

if i had it to do over again i would go with the hs9500i or bigger /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I agree... myself and running lots of mud, for a big pig of a Blazer... 12k or nothing.

Ken H.