Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Shopping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Mar 31, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where has everyone bought their winch from? Looking for one so I can have my bumbers made around it. Currently considering the MileMArker 9000. Any thoughts? If you know of any information please let me know.

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

If I were you I would spend the extra 100 for the 12k, Im running that right now and have been pleased only used it twice and once was to pull out at jeep burried to the frame in mud and it had no problam pulling him out

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I've found many winches in great condition used. Seems the winch is the first thing a guy will sell when he needs cash!

I bought a M12000 for $500USD, it was barley used, 150ft of cable new hook, remote etc he just needed to sell it for extra cash. Not sure how much of a "deal" that in the in states, but here it was pretty decent.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The only MileMarker winches I've seen people whine about were the 8000lb ones (discontinued) and a few people about the 9000lb one. For the extra $150 you might as well buy the 12000lb one. The only complaints I've found about them is that they're slow. In fact, all of MileMarker's winches are slow, hydraulic or not. The hydraulic ones can be sped up by using valves that flow more fluid... but I digress.

Spend the extra $150 on the 12000 if you can afford it. I ordered one last Friday and I'm getting antsy waiting for it.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The E12000 is just as fast with no load as a comparable Warn M12000. Under load they're pretty close, with the Warn being a bit faster.

I've posted numerous times about this in the past but I won't waste my time this time. The E-12000 is not slow, not compared to a Warn M12000.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, slow is a relative thing. We now live in a world where everyone and his brother compares every winch to the Warn 8274-50, HS9500, or 9.5ti in the realm of no-load line speed.

Like you said, compare it to a same rated winch and things are different. I think comparing it to a M12000 is valid but nobody in their right mind would buy a M12000. With the 16.5ti out being the "big dog" the M15000 is only a hundred bucks more than the M12000.

However, I have issue for the last wrap of line on the E12000 being worth so much more than the others. I've made a post about this before.

As far as I'm concerned, for what you're getting the E12000 is a bargain. I'd probably think twice about the E9000 though.

7. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Well don't get yer winch at the bar like I did. Whew dem girls will take ya to da cleanas as soon as ya ain't lookin'. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not much help, but I just gotta crow...

I swallowed my pride and went to 4 Wheelers Wholesale to get a 30' and 6' Procomp leather wrapped 30k recovery strap. I like those better than any others I've seen, so when I finally got down in that area during business hours, I grabbed them. I just happened to be down there helping out another member (Alan) who went in with me. Anyway, we were chatting with the guy behind the counter and I mentioned that I wished I had gotten a hs9500i before they were discontinued (now you gotta go with the 9500ti). The guy at the counter said, "Yeah, I think they have been gone for a while.", but he checked inventory anyway. No units, no surprise. Well, Alan was poking around and found the old display unit STILL OUT ON THE FLOOR! To get to the end of the story, I got a brand new hs9500i for $900 total with roller fairhead. I'll eventually switch to synthetic, but for now the steel will do. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I payed $610 to the door for my E12000 and it has 3/8 cable vs. the Warn 9000-9500's 5/16" cable.

Warn has captured this market with a name, and I'm sure they build a quality project, but there's no way I'm spending more on any electric winch than this E12000 I have.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There is definitely better value for the dollar in the "just get it done" category, it just depends on what you want. Ramsey and Milemarker both make suitable winches. But, for capability, dependability, speed, and weight I REALLY like the hs9500i. They've always worked flawlessly in the field, but they are a little more pricey than many of the more budget friendly winches. I was disappointed when it disappeared and the replacement does not thrill me. That's why I was excited to find this one, especially at that price. Apparently some people have paid over $1k for them...

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where did you get them from?