Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winch: warn 9000 # Multi mount or 12,000 # warn

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Sep 16, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i will probably get a winch for x-mas, So the delma is should i get the warn 9000i multimount or the 12,000 # warn and try and have someone fab a portable/beefy multi mount for it? even if they could, i would still think the combo would be over 200# and not worth moving... So i guess i'm just a little hesitant to get a 9k winch for my 5500-6000# truck...
    any ideas
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1063772183BranndonC">

winch
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />9000 multimount
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />12,000 and make multi mount
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

get the hs 95001 not the xd90001 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well me personally i would go whith the 12,000. The 9 wont have enough pull to get a full sized out if its REALY stuck. And if all else fails overkill is better.

4. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

If you need overkill, my 15,000 warn is still for sale and not to far from you. Only in washington

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a Warn 12K on the front of my truck. All I know is that mofo is heavy. I like it though because it should be more winch then I will ever need.

Tim (4x4 Iron) told me to be careful with a 12K winch because it could pull hard enough to tweek the frame where it goes under the cab. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also like the 12K because it is pretty low profile so it doesn't block off airflow from the radiator.

Harley

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dunno if you saw my multimount post on the forums or not, but stephen watson was talking about how he rarely needed to use his winch in the rear of his rig. He made a multimount for it and it just didnt get used much. He runs some pretty dang narly stuff... so I thought it was pretty surprising input. I dunno, if the choices are the 9000 or the 12000, I'd prolly just get the 12k and perma mount it to the front... its just gonna be to heavy to move around and more than likely over time it would just stay on the front of the rig anyway. Im gonna run a light rig, so an 8000 + synthetic winch line is the route I am gonna take. It should be pretty portable, so Im going multimount as I can remove it for theft-prevention and/or approach angle reasons. Unless I find myself with too much $ on my hands, I prolly wont wire the thing to run in the rear. just my 2 cents.

j

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Multimounts seem like a great idea. Depdog had it set up like that. When he layed his truck on it's side he had to climb in the back, try not to step on the side window, get the 90lb pig out of it's stored possisiton, hand it out the back window without dropping it through the side window, drag it up a steep hill with bad traction, hang it on the front of the truck that was now 4-5ft up and at a goofy angle so the handles were uselss on the multi mount so he's basicly bear hugging it trying to get it lined up with the reciever that was now level with his collar bone. It was a real pain in the keister. He has since them built a winch bumper.

Mall cruiser that hits a trail a couple times a year or two different 4x4's...Yeah it would be worth it. dedicated trail rig...nope.

8. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Mall cruiser that hits a trail a couple times a year or two different 4x4's...Yeah it would be worth it. dedicated trail rig...nope.

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey my blazer is no mall cruiser /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i leave mine on the blazer all the time. if needed i can run it to the rear. i also have a set of cables for it that if needed can take the winch of my truck and put it on anyones truck jeep toy whatever that has a rear receiver and the cables will reach there battery. so if they are in a position that i cant get to them we can still winch them out. yes the multi-mount has advantages and disadvantages but i would never say its only for mall cruisers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    When he layed his truck on it's side he had to climb in the back, try not to step on the side window, get the 90lb pig out of it's stored possisiton, hand it out the back window without dropping it through the side window, drag it up a steep hill with bad traction, hang it on the front of the truck...

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like the lesson here is "leave it mounted to the front of ur rig when you wheel" and not necessarily "multimounts are useless!".

j

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My next rig I plan to run a winch front and rear. I am going to run a synthetic line 8274 in the front and a 12K in the back. I figure that if I can't get out forward with the 8274 I can get ouot backward with a 12K.

I personally don't like the multimounts on a trail rig. I am pretty sure I would get stuck in a postion that wouldn't allow me to get the multimount into the reciever hitch and use it. Then I would be SOL. I also don't like the idea of having to drag around a 12K on the trail in a multimount. I am a pretty big guy and that 12K is still heavy and ocward to move around.

Harley

11. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally don't like the multimounts on a trail rig. I am pretty sure I would get stuck in a position that wouldn't allow me to get the multimount into the receiver hitch and use it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats why you leave it mounted when going on the trails /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    I also don't like the idea of having to drag around a 12K on the trail in a multimount.

[/ QUOTE ]
    the 12k wont fit in a multi-mount unless its a home built multi-mount

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

The Warn site says the 12k weighs 136Lbs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif that's more than some of you guys /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifthe 9k or 9.5k goes about 85Lbs