Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Wars

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by walla2k5, Oct 22, 2004.

1. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Give it to me staight, Warn 4.6hp $1300
    MileMarker 5.5hp. $700
    Ramsey 4+ hp. $1100

I've owned a Warn before great winch...MileMarker making claims to fame, as to being tough. Ramsey been around for a while , never been around one to see in action. Are we back to you get what you pay for , or is it a changing of the guard? Let me know your experience with any or all,help me make a choice. Will be mounted on k5 w/40 somethings... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm interested too.

I've never been around anyone with a winch. Well except my father-in-law who has on that is about 20years old. It's so big it lookes like it belongs on a duece-and-a-half.

The price on the Mile Marker is sure tempting.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The milemarker is a piece of crap, I own one.

Never again will I buy some cheap chinese crap instead of quality USA made products.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I bought an E12000 MileMarker winch for the price. I figure if it sucks and can't pull out my 5,500lb K5 on 44's I'll either upgrade to hydraulic or a better electric winch. I'd just stick the E12000 in the rear bumper for emergencies. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I haven't tested my winch yet, my rig isn't even drivable right now, but it looks like a decent piece. I have a friend with a hydraulic MM winch and it will pull him out of anything, as long as his bumper and frame are up to the task. Warn's have always been good winches but they lack in the cable strength department IMHO. Get the MileMarker winch DVD or video, you'll be suprised what a difference 3/8" cable can make. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]

Never again will I buy some cheap chinese crap instead of quality USA made products.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it says China all over it made me not want to buy one... but then again, most products that say "made in the USA" are only assembled here anyways /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The company is american based at least... or I think it is... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must agree with Timmy. My MM e12000 is a slow piece of sh!t. After 3 uses the motor died.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it says China all over it made me not want to buy one... but then again, most products that say "made in the USA" are only assembled here anyways /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The company is american based at least... or I think it is... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had to call and get parts for mine twice now, so I have talked to the people that distribute the product (and I'm a dealer)

The majority of Milemarker's products are very high quality, some made in the USA, including the hydraulic winches.

The Milemarker electric winches are manufactured, assembled, and 100% made in China. I'm disappointed that the company would even put their name on it.

Milemarker doesn't make them anyway...they're T-max winches, marketed under the Milemarker name.

The winch is poorly designed, too compact, and made in China. If I could get every dime out of mine that I spent on it, it'd be for sale right now, I'm a Warn dealer too and I'd be more than happy to have a 9500 or 12000 lb warn in my bumper instead, or even a new 8274.

Oh and the piece of crap stalled on me in the mud pit at RTC. I would have probably been able to make a full pull, if not for the worthless waste of 102 lbs that is inside my front bumper.

8. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Well $#!% MileMarker...Ya know it's too bad,remember the Doug Nash PT hub kits? Well guess who markets them now...MileMarker.Thanks for your HONEST oppinions,they are appreciated,later.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Tim, how old is your winch. I also have a MM12000 that I did some trading for. It's their new design. I have even mounted it yet as I'm waiting on my bumper.
    T-Max winches are Australian designed and tested in there but are manufactured and assembled in China. It's aprent company is Nissan of Australia...both have a much cheaper price than the WARN's. Could be the cost of the overseas manufacturing or the fact that they suck. I'll have to make my own opinions I guess
    If I burn this MM up then I'll get a WARN but I hope it doesnt come to that. We'll see if this Newer desgn is a POS too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. mydnyte

mydnyte Registered Member

I have an old Ramsey PTO winch on my 77 K20. It runs off a gear box mounted to the transfer case and has a driveshaft that runs up to it under the truck. It says it is rated for 8000lb. but I have yet to meet any task it couldnt handle. Granted I have had to chain up the ass end to a stump for heavy pulls but thats fine by me.

Just thought I would put in a good word for Ramsey, but I dont think they sell PTO winches any more.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone have any experience with a Pierce winch??,made in texas..I've seen a hydraulic one on a ramp truck,and there is one on a DPW truck I saw at the boneyard that is pto driven---are they rugged,or rubbish??. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I want a peirce one
    the older worm drive version not their new planetary one
    I think it is the old Tulsa

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    After 3 uses the motor died.

[/ QUOTE ]

please explain in more detail?
    the electric motor packed it in?
    how did you diagnose that?

14. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    After 3 uses the motor died.

[/ QUOTE ]

please explain in more detail?
    the electric motor packed it in?
    how did you diagnose that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The motor just quit working, no in or out. Soliniods were clicking still. I do give MM a good mark on there customer service. I called them up about it, told them it died, they told me to send just the motor to them and a week later I had a new motor. Just had to have proff of purchase to make sure it was under warrenty.

15. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ramsey are ok. Just real slow.

Warn is the way to go.

16. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What are the stats to get a Blazer on 44s down to 5500lbs?

[ QUOTE ]
    if it sucks and can't pull out my 5,500lb K5 on 44's

[/ QUOTE ]

17. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    What are the stats to get a Blazer on 44s down to 5500lbs?

[ QUOTE ]
    if it sucks and can't pull out my 5,500lb K5 on 44's

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a rough guess. I figure with no driveshafts, floor, a small block, no fluids in any vital components, no interior, no heating system and no driver it shouldn't weigh much more than stock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Seriously though, I'm working on finding a cab from one of the larger dually trucks to adapt on my frame which will save a few hundred pounds. I'm also not running a big block and my "bumpers" are just going to be trailer hitches and a winch mount up front. I have the MM12000 winch and it's very very light compared to others I have helped install. I have basicly no interior and most likely won't be running doors. I also don't have a roll cage yet. I'm just guessing, but with all the things I've removed and with the cab I want I shouldn't be much over 5,500#. I don't know exact numbers yet though. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. TruckNutzDude

By the way, I based my info on the fact that a stock K5 only weighs 4,878# in 1989. Am I way off on thinking I can make it weigh under three tons? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

19. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So from what Ive read so far its go warn or go home?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

It's starting to look that way...Guess I'll start stashing away a little more $$$ and get a Warn.Keep up the feedback I'd like to here about the smoking MM's progress.Oh ya' just bought 44 boggers for the k5 woohoo! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif