Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch Wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, May 13, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I picked up a used Warn 12K the other day. It is in Phoenix where my buddy picked it up for me. I am still in Colorado so I haven't seen it yet to get a feel for it yet. But I need to know how to wire the winch up. Is it just as easy as the positive and negative leads to the battery? Or are there other wires to connect? If there is where is the best place to wire them too, hint? Thanks

Harley

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it just as easy as the positive and negative leads to the battery?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's all there is to it. Pretty complicated, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif All the rest of the wiring is internal to the solenoid pack. Power it up, plug in the remote and you're ready to pull. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I've heard that you're not supposed to wire a winch to the side terminals on the battery, but to the top posts only. I guess they can handle more current. I could be wrong though, anyone else heard this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes it is really that simple. 2ga pos and 2ga neg right to the battery. I use marine style battery post clamps and it took about 2 minutes to wire it up.

As far as not using the side post on Optima batteries, I have heard the same thing - the side posts are not to be used for high demand items like winches. Put the winch connects on the top posts.
    -- Mike

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Damn, I was going to run them to the side posts on my Optima. Guess I will have to rework my battery hookups a little and use the tops. No big deal though.

Thanks everyone.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

According to Optima's web site and the booklet that come w/ the bat the side posts of an Optima are for low amp draw acc only. The winch and starter should be hooked to the top post.