Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winch wont work, bout to give up!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PRITCHETTK, Jan 16, 2006.

1. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK Registered Member

I just recently bought a used warn m8000 it worked when i plugged it in the first time now that I have it home it wont do anything. The connections are kinda rusty I cleaned them as good as I could, still nothing! I took the main motor wires and hooked them to the battery and all i get is sparks. I guess I will just take it in to the local alternator shop and hope he can fix it. I dont know what else to do, or how to check the silenoids. :mad:

2. PRITCHETTK

this really bites! noone to help me :(

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you checked the continuity of the hand grip? have you checked the solenoids? dont pay some one to fix, do it your self. Some one on here has the schematics im sure.

4. PRITCHETTK

I will check for juice tommorrow, I dont have a voltage meter right now. Or a light tester.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Do not take it to a shop until you spend the $10 for these 2 items and do some basic trouble shooting as in continuity checks. Winch circuits are not that complex give it time someone will help out.

Ira

6. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have a soldering gun, 1156 bulb and a piece of wire you can make your own test light with the addition of 9volt batt for continuity testing.

7. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Do you have the separate controlbox? If so you have to ground the controlbox for the winch to work. I had the same problem with my winch and thought it was broken too.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah I got my ramsey 15k patriot with wireless kit and thought the same thing.... until I grounded the control module.... (remote control winch... SAWEET :bow: )

9. PRITCHETTK

Well the control box is not grounded so that might just be it, I will try it out and hope so! nI dont even have the box bolted to anything soo. Thanks for the help everyone!

10. Ramsey_Crawler

Ramsey_Crawler Registered Member

What part of Oklahoma are you in?

11. PRITCHETTK

I live in Salina, Oklahoma. ABout 45 minutes NE from Tulsa. Where are you at?

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Do the solenoids click when you hit the controller button? Are you sure the controller is plugged in correctly, and fully seated.

I had a Ramsey that sat in the garage for years. After installing it everything worked fine the first couple of times using it, then the motor stopped turning intermittenly but you could hear the solenoids clicking. Also directly feeding the motor with the battery resulted in nothing. I disassembled the motor once, and not being overly familiar with electric motors, did not notice anything wrong. After more issues I took it apart and had an electrical guy take a look...he immediately noticed some build up on the motor brushes. I couple minutes with some fine emery cloth and a little electrical cleaner and it works like new.

13. PRITCHETTK

Well fixed the problem! It is the switch! Should have known.