Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winches which is best?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Orange Crush, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm fixin to order me a winch and I would appreciate any info on what works 4 youins. I'm thikin a Ramsey 12000 lb. winch the one with the worm gear. Buddy of mine says the planetary desins don't have as strong a pull.I dunno! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I don't know which is the best. But my friend just bought a Mile Marker 8K pounder about a month ago for his toyota and that is the biggest piece of crap - waste of money that I have ever seen. It is compeletely nutless even with a snatch block. I just wanted to give you a heads up on what not to buy.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a Warn9500i and another has the Warn1500, they are both really good.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just put the HS9500i on my rig, i havent used it much but the first time out i got to pull a 75 f250 highboy on 38"s over some rocks. (he broke a u joint)

With no load on the line the thing winds up quick as hell.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

On the Ramsey 12000 lb worm gear drive you will have the brute strength over the planetary winches, but you will be giving up alot of line speed. Depending on how you use your rig will determine on what you want to go with. If you do alot of rock or hill climbing the faster line speed will come in real handy in a sticky situation. If you do alot of mud running or pulling people out the worm gear drive winch would be your better choice.

Just my .02 worth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I wanted to get a Warn 9500 but couldnt bring myself to part with the almost $900 for it.

I ended up gettin an 8k Mile Marker electric winch.It was $314 plus tax from Four Wheel Parts with free shipping and I figured it was better than no winch at all I got stuck pretty good into some large rocks on most of the drivers side of my truck and it pulled me free no problem.

When choosing a winch I guess it comes down to how much yer gonna use it and what ya do when ya wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif