Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 16, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK here's the deal been looking pretty heavily at winches and I am lookin for some real life reccomendations. Looking somewhere in the WARN 9K-9.5K range. There are a lot of different choices. Lookin to stay under $1000 too. What do you guys reccomend? I don't do any competition stuff or anything just self recovery is all that is important.

Oh Yeah why is the M8000 so cheap???

Warn Winches

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I didn't vote. If you want to save some money look into the MileMarker Winches, plus I am not a big Warn fan. Had too many break on my HMMWV's so I bought a Ramsey with a lifetime warranty.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

There is an ad on the 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers web site today offering a 9k MileMarker winch (with tow hooks, strap and some other stuff) for $499. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

My buddy just put a 9K Mile Marker on his /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and loves it, and it's cheap too. Couldn't be to bad if the military uses it.

5. evilk5

evilk5 Registered Member

The MM 12000 lb is like $599 at 4 Wheel parts, my neighbor just mounted his and he likes it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They don't even make the HS9500 anymore so there's no way I'd buy that. I figure there is a reason for it.

Next, 4WPW is pretty high on their pricing for Warn winches. If you're set on 4WPW make them pricematch Clemson 4 Wheel. So far, out of Warn winches, Clemson seems to be the cheapest because they offer free shipping. There are some places that have cheaper winches but the shipping is around $80.

Out of your list, I'd buy the 9.5ti.

Meeting your criteria but expanding outside of Warn I'd buy the Mile Marker E-12000. In fact, I did. And I even had a 9.5ti vs E-12000 thread a while back.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have the Milemarker E-12000 as well. I think Warn is overpriced personally. Their warranty isn't that much better, and their winch's performance isn't either. Also, if you don't get an M12000 or bigger, you don't get 3/8 cable which is standard on both the E-9000 and E-12000 from mile marker.

Simple choice for me, $610 to the door. If it breaks, I'll buy a 2nd one and it would still be cheaper than one M12000 depending on where I got it from.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I will be getting a MM12000 when I have a bumper and money for it... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have seen the Warn HS 9500 in action. I was pretty impressed. It is a sweet winch with a good line speed. Made pretty short work of a 74 K5 buried up to the frame in the mud.

It was double lined up and pulled like a champ. The guy in the mud had already snapped what appeared to be a 3/8" cable which would mean a winch in excess of 9000lbs (probably closer to 12000lb).

I personally have a Warn M12000. Kinda slow but it will pull just about anything. Mine was flogged to piss by the PO and the brake unit is worn out but it still pulls like a beast. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Harley

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe look in to MM then huh?

11. Hossbaby50

I don't have any personal experience with MM but I have seen a fair amount of nice trucks that get wheeled pretty hard. Most carry a <font color="red"> W </font> on the front bumper. I have seen a couple Ramsey's too. I have never actually seen a MM in person so I can't say anything about them except there price is good. But remember you are buying a winch that is so far relativly unproven.

Harley

12. CyberSniper

If only you had an 8274 you'd be singing the same tune as the PBB sheeple.

Warn makes nice winches, no doubt there. But you pay a premium for it. Just like BFG tires, you're also paying for the name.

Warn released those new Magnum winches. They don't put the Warn name on them because they don't want to dilute their "Warn" name. Much like how large tire manufacturers will release a "house brand" tire. They do it to break into a market that they normally wouldn't be prileged to for fear of diluting their name.

Mile Marker's E-12000 winch can be had for a little more than half what a Warn M12000 costs. In my opinion, you'd have to be pretty dense to buy the M12000 when you can buy two E-12000s for $50 more. Then again, the M15000 is less than a President Franklin more than the M12000. And once you get that far up there the 16.5ti is only a stone's throw away. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can play the $100 difference all the way from a come-along to a diesel wrecker. In the $500-$1000 catagory I favor warn or ramsey (beter duty cycles and less heat issues). I have a cheap ramsey REP series. The friggin thing can pull me but I wouldn't want to use it for more than 10ft (luckily rock krawling doesn't require more than that very often), it is slooooow. I mean don't even worry about spooling it back up, the sun will be down in a few hours and you might not be done, sloooow. I think the real argument will change in a year after all of these MM12000 and MM9000 have been truly tested (not just mounted in the garage). They may be a budget bonus or a waste of 3/8" cable. I haven't seen anybody use a MM in person yet nor have I heard praise of anything other than price.

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'd take my 8274 over anything out there, but thats just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. CyberSniper

I don't think you read my post. I said $100 difference on different model WARN winches. Not WARN and MILE MARKER.

Warn M12000 = $1050
    Warn M15000 = $1130
    Warn 16.5ti = $1320

The Mile Marker winches have been around for almost a year but I don't know how many people have abused them. I only know four people personally that have them. There is a guy in our club that got the E-9000 just after it came out last summer and has used the piss out of it. In fact, he has used it so much he got tired of the original remote and made a new one.

I like Warn winches, don't get me wrong. I just think that Mile Marker has managed to make a product as good if not better for less. I know I'd like to have a XD or XP but for the three hundred I saved I could match it for another three hundred and buy a second Mile Marker.

I have some beef with the Mile Marker though:
    1. There are no provisions for mounting the fairlead to the winch. This is probably done to save some sideloading of the case but the pictures are false advertising in my opinion.
    2. Solenoid pack mounting. We're talking a new kind of retarded. It works but that is about it. I didn't use the supplied brackets.
    3. Remote. The remote is overengineered so you can't hit both buttons at the same time and waterproofed beyond sanity. It isn't particularly comfortable or easy to operate.
    4. Weather resistance. The remote is waterproofed beyond belief. It even has a socket on the solenoid pack with a weather cover. After that, it must be sunshine every day of the year where the winch itself was designed. The solenoid pack cover keeps people out but not water. None of the crimped ends are soldered or at least tinned. There is no antioxidant anywhere.

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I will be putting a 12k hydraulic MM in the front and a 12k electric mm in the back... my opinion is that you shouldnt need a winch if you know the limits of your truck.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

but anyhow... I also believe that these dagone things are too expensive..... so I say.. go for what is cheapest.. if the Military has switched to MM hydraulic..there must be a reason... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Hossbaby50

Everything the military uses is the cheapest stuff that passes there test. The MM my have barely passed and the Warn may have passed with flying colors but the MM is cheaper to that is what the Gov't. is going to buy. I am not saying the Warn is better or the MM is bad but the fact of the matter is the Gov't uses the cheapest thing to pass there tests. Not necessarily the best thing.

Harley

18. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

May be a little off topic.

I'm using a Ramsey Patriot 15000 on my M1008.

Because of the mil wiring I could use 24volts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    This was the main reason for NOT buying a MM 12000 or a Warn 16500. The 24v Patriot draws 250amps at max load, where a 12v winch would draw about 460amps!

If only a 12v source is available, I'd vote for the MM E-12000 because of the price. Maybe the hydraulic MM could be an option.

Sorry again if I missed the topic.

Regards. Walter

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Everything the military uses is the cheapest stuff that passes there test. The MM my have barely passed and the Warn may have passed with flying colors but the MM is cheaper to that is what the Gov't. is going to buy. I am not saying the Warn is better or the MM is bad but the fact of the matter is the Gov't uses the cheapest thing to pass there tests. Not necessarily the best thing.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why they're pulling off functional Warns and replacing them with Milemarkers, huh?

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

and you are privy to the bids that Warn submitted for the military contract?
    a Warn is no more expensive to produce then any other winch