Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Taz, Dec 31, 2000.

1. Taz

Taz Registered Member

I know most people like to have a winch in the front, but I have not heard of alot of people also having one in the back. What if you get stuck and the nearest tree is behind you? Assuming you don't have a "pull pal" or similar device

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Some people get receiver hitches front and rear and run a detatchable winch. This is good because there isnt a constant extra wieght on the front making the front lower, and you can use it on the rear if you need to. If I ever get enough money for a winch, I'll do this. Plus, its not always on the front of your truck so it wont have a tendency to gravitate towards someone's hands and into the back of they're van.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. Taz

Taz Registered Member

I assume you are talking about a 2" receiver, I wasn't aware or any that would slide in. most of them I have seen either mount to the bumper or use slide over the ball, the ones I have seen that slide ove the ball have only a 5000 lb limit which could not pull a blazer stuck in mud. Where did you find these winches?
    thanks

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What winch have you seen that slides over the ball??
    What about the weight? I'm sure that thing isn't light, and I'm sure it ain't fun draggin that thing around in knee deep mud.

[​IMG]

5. Taz

Taz Registered Member

The ones that I seen that slip over the ball is from www.northerntool.com the part number is 142940-c154. it says it handles a "rolling" load of 20 tons but only a boat of 6000 lbs it weighs 40 lbs, but like I said I don't think it would pull a blazer stuck in mud

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Central 4 Wheel Drive has something called a multi-mount #26370 that will plug into any 2" class 3 receiver hitch. It's supposed to handle winches up to 9,000 pounds.

Smitty

7. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I had a ramsey pro plus on my chevy Z-71. it was set up on a removable bracket which slide into the front and rear hitch on the truck. If you want to run it to the rear be advised you will need quite a bit of heavy guage cable run all the way to the mount. If i ever find a front class 5 hitch that will mount on my 87 jimmy i'll install the winch. by the way the winch worked great both on front and back, sometimes its easier to be pulled out from the back.

Craig

8. northgate

northgate Registered Member

I cut a hole in my front bumper right behind the license plate, welded a receiver between the frame horns, and ran welding cable to both the front and rear of my rig, using quick release cable connections and just using a pigtail on the winch. I recommend installing an auxillary battery and isolating it from the main battery as well. When I take the winch off, I just re-install my license plate and you can't tell there's been any modification. This is also great for moving your winch around to different rigs, you don't have to buy more than one. It is great being able to winch out the way you came.