Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winches???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Oct 6, 2003.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

In you guy's opinion, who makes the best winch, Warn, Ramsey, or MileMarker? Thanks.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

hands down warn in my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

I second that. I love my Warn 12000 pounder!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Right now you can get a MileMarker 12,000 pound winch from 4wheelparts for $599. Can't beat that price.

5. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Holy (JEEP) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I paid almost twice that!

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just got a ramsey 12000 pound winch I'll let you know how I like it in a few days

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

12000 electric, I think, no? They make a pretty good product, in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
    Right now you can get a MileMarker 12,000 pound winch from 4wheelparts for $599. Can't beat that price.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

9. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

I'm gonna have to go with Warn on this.Seeing I own a couple of them.Only problem I ever had happened this weekend when I smoked my first solenoid ever.I believe if you are in a pinch,any of the brand names will get you on your way. Jason 84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, that 12k pound MileMarker is a pretty damn good deal. Wish I had some $$$ right now! lol!!

j

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

NO,no.
    You want a Tulsa PTO winch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!
    No electic winch will drag big trucks thru the mud all day without complaining.

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bought a 12,000 Ramsey electic off a tow truck for 50.00.going to mount it on the front and put a pto winch on the back

13. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I Have a 9000lbs milemarker on the front of my truck and pulled my brother in his jeep cherokee up the side of a 3 story cliff. It was a steep grade ( started at 45deg and went to almost 90) and i had no problems. Definatly impressed and the winch ony cost me $450 new about 10 months ago.

14. jekbrown

yeah, i think milemarker makes good winches, atleast from what I have seen. Some people are a little obsessed with Warn imo. No doubt they make great winches, but for the same price as a 8000lb Warn you can get that 12000lb Milemarker...50% mo-powah for the same $.. hmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if i had the $, I'd be all over that MM deal like white on rice!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a Warn 12K on the front of my truck I haven't had a chance to test the winch offroad yet as my truck is constantly broken. I did though get to test it when I ripped out a lemon tree from the sideyard of my house. It worked great.

The lemon tree was old and very deep in the ground. I hooked up the winch to my truck (85 K5, 35's, 3/4 tons, etc.) which is pretty heavy and I proceeded to drag my truck up my driveway with the brakes locked (friend was holding the brakes). So I know it will drag a 6000 lb K5 without a problem. I really like my winch sofar except it hurts approach angles.

I also bought this winch used form a friend and it had seen some years of service with AT&T prior and it still works well. I was sold on the Warn 12K after I moved to Colorado for awhile and met Shawn (Potent rodent) and Toby (Moneypit). They both run 12K Warns and they have some sick rigs. So I knew that was the winch for my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm going to get the Milemarker 12000 lb model off ebay brand new for $500 after I get my KMA bumper. I think the winch is going to be my next purchase. I think I'm going to have the money for my bumper by the end of the month.

17. jekbrown

post a link to that $500 brand new MM 12k lb winch... i dont see any that cheap there. Not to mention that a 100 pound package costs bank to ship.. prolly wouldnt end up any cheaper than just driving over to 4wpw and grabbing one.

j