Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Oct 10, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Search brings us all the way back to may and no real decision.

How much winch is necessary?

Since winching isn't going to be a life and death situation for me, I'm considering 9000 lb and 12000 lb Milemarkers and the 9000 lb Warn and Ramsey winches.

We have talked about this subject over and over but the question still remains. Is a 9k lb winch enough for our uses, or would the 12,000 be necessary? I think the 9k would do it for what I do, but I'd like more opinions. If it's slow as hell, that's fine with me. I won't really complain, as long as it works.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a warn xd9,000i winch and it has always gotten me out of any situation i have been in and needed it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get the MM12k and ad synthetic winch line and a UHMW-PE fairlead and ur set. sell the stock cable and fairlead and pocket that money. Now, ur set. ur winch is strong as hell and can pull u out of almost anything and the whole setup is still relatively light weight.

j

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    UHMW-PE fairlead

[/ QUOTE ]

What's that? (now i feel stupid having to ask) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm leaning towards just getting a 9k MM, but still considering the 12k as the 9k doesn't come with a roller fairlead.

I am going to try to get the 12k from 4wpw for $599 shipped if I can. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

the rule of thumb is 1.5 times your vehicles weight fully trail ready. If your rig is 6,000lbs or less fully outfitted for the trail then a 9klb winch is sufficient as 6,000 x 1.5 = 9,000.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    UHMW-PE fairlead

[/ QUOTE ]

What's that? (now i feel stupid having to ask) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ultra
    High
    Molecular
    Weight
    Poly
    Ethylene

UHMW-PE is a type of plastic that has excellent wear characteristics. The fairlead that jekbrown is refering to is recommended when using the synthetic winch cable. It won't snag or tear the cable and will help the cable last longer.

October's (I think) Petersen's has an article on the cable and fairlead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had a Warn HS9500i and loved it. Now JK5 has it and he seems to like it to... The only reason I sold it was because I needed the $.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Thats what I will buy again or maybe one of the newer models with the thermosensor.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am leaning toward aluminum when I replace my wire rope w/ synthetic. Either way it's kind of funny that a hawes style fairlead is now the "hot" set-up.

As to which winch to wrench out your wench, I use a Warn 8274-50, but that might not be best for you.

9. jekbrown

aluminum is cool, but if it gets lil burs/dents in it it could damage that synth rope. Them uhmwpe fairleads are approved for steel cables... so they should have no probs holding up to some synth rope.

and yeah, it is pretty damn funny how the hawse is the cool fairlead to have. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif silly roller fairleads, always thought they looked ghey anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I guess it could esp if you run you cable all the way in untill the hook hits the fairlead. I've got hook I mounted sideways on my bumper to hold the end of my cable. I'll look at the other, though. Got a supplier? TIA.

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Just remember that those ratings are on the bottom wrap of cable. So unless you can spool out 100' of cable when your buried a 9000 is pushing it. Better to have too much then not enough!

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A double-lined 8000 lb. Warn pulled me out of the absolute worst stuck I have ever been in.

Regarding the weight rating of the vehicle x 1.5, just remember that just because the vehice weighs 6,000 lbs. it doesn't always take that much force to move it.......think about it, I can push my 6,000 lb. Blazer around on flat ground. Now granted that doesn't take into acount being buried in mud or on a hill, but even on a 45 degree (which is REALLY steep) hill it would only require 3,000 lbs. of force to pull the truck up with no assistance from the tires (again, assuming you weren't dragging the diffs or anything).

I'm sure you could always get into a situation that would require a 12,000 lb. winch but a majority of the time something along the lines of a 9,000 lb. would be sufficient.

13. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

Actually on a 45 degree hill, it would be more like 4200lbs unassisted. On a 30 degree hill it would be 3000lbs.

<--engnerd

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just remember that those ratings are on the bottom wrap of cable. So unless you can spool out 100' of cable when your buried a 9000 is pushing it. Better to have too much then not enough!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what a snatch block is for not only does it more or less double your pull strength, but it uses more line getting you closer to that first wrap on the drum /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i run a warn XD9000i on the front havent yet needed to snatch it.....and i have a ramsey 8000 for the rear(reciever mount) and ive had to snatch the ramsey a few times..the XD9000 is a great winch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I had a warn 8274. Stuck my 1 ton blazer on 38s and it wouldn't pull me out. Too far away to snatch block also. Also had managed to sink my stock K30 crewcab on a power line, not bad, quit spinning when truck stopped. Buddy had a 12K warn on his jeep and with him hooked to a tree he had all that warn could muster to pull me on a single line.

It's your call. I'd use a 8-9K winch on a full size road truck, not a heavy wheeler. But on a trail run I'd rather have you with an 8K than without.

17. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i still don't believe an 8k winch will lift 8k straight up. this is judging from it not pulling my friend's dodge out of some mudholes that my truck did.

18. [ QUOTE ]
    That's what a snatch block is for not only does it more or less double your pull strength, but it uses more line getting you closer to that first wrap on the drum

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY! My dad had a 8000lb Warn winch on his 72 Blazer, I think the winch was made in the mid 70's. Using up to a 4 to 1 setup we pulled out trees that were up to 1 1/2 ft in diameter. It's amazing how much more power you get out of a pulley system. We never found a situation where enough blocks and cable couldn't get us out of. Of course when you do this you may need an extension cable and that should be roughly twice the diameter of the winch cable.

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

you realise 38" tires stuck in mud up to the axles can require forces of up to 50k lbs to dead pull out (tires not spinning) When you tried to pull yourself out were you in the rig driving and running the winch? When the jeep winched you out were you in your rig driving it then?

Not everyone can afford a warn 12k so bascially it comes down to buying the best winch you can afford because as he said, you'll be better off with an 8k winch than no winch at all.

20. jekbrown

this is why if u get stuck in deep mud the FIRST recovery tool you should reach for is a shovel... the winch is the last thing you use. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif dunno how many peeps I have seen tear off bumpers, snap axle shafts and other poop trying to pull a truck out of a mud hole that a 55,000 lb PTO winch would be about right for. In those nasty stucks, ya gotta dig first and pull second.

j