Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winching - Holy Snikies!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

LOL, forgot to post this story so i will share it now.

As most know the Nov 25th My and some BUds went wheelin with EDdaTREE and some of his Buds. I talked my one friend with his CJ5 w35's to go through this hole that everyone was driving around. Well he got all four tires in and BAM, stuck! He kept trying to get out, but just kept diggin himself deeper. After trying for a few minutes to get out, the pulleies started spashing water all around and eventually stopped the engine. Time for the WINCH!

We survey the situation and we were on a really slick trail and he was in pretty deep. So I leave my rig in park and have my girlfriend stand on the brakes. Then I grab some decent size logs and wedge them in front of the front tires, pull out the winch cable and hook him up.
    Well as i figured, the winch pulled me towards him so one of Ed's buddies pulled behind me and we hooked a chain from me to him for an anchor. This guys truck was a fullsize Dodge longbed with 38's. After we hook him up to me we wedge some logs under his tires and then more under mine. So I tighten up the slack inthe chain between us with the winch and now the winch is pulling me and the Dodge towards the Jeep! Now remember, this is a CJ5 with a 6cyl and 35's. I bet this thing only wieghs about 3K pounds, but was not running.
    So at this point we were all pretty amazed. Now my borther comes around and hooks his Blazer to the other rear side of my Jimmy. So now we have me hooked to the CJ with the winch and two fullsizes, one off each side, hooked to the rear of my Jimmy. We also put logs in front of all the tires of my brothers Blazer and tighened up the slack again. The winch pulled all three of us a little and then it started pulling the CJ out.

Man, that was amazing! Needed three fullsizes to pull out one "little" CJ-5!!(this is the same CJ in the Canfield pics on Truckworld.com and in the Off-Road and 4Wheel parts Wholesalers mags).

Just though I would share this story with everyone! :)

Oh, BTW, the winch cable that was being used was the one I repaired. I used (4) Cable clamps as some "WISE MAN" told me to and it worked great. I did use extra blanketing in case they did let go, but they never moved!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Thats pretty stuck! I know of one better that happend last winter. I'll try and find the web site that has some of the pictures posted later. Last time I checked they didn't have the recovery up but I was fowarded what it took to get it out. Stuck Hummer. 40,000lb PTO winch double lined with 7 vehicles as dead weight to get the booger out. They burned up several other winches in the previous tries. Busted the hub on one wheel ripped the exhaust up and bent a A-Arm on the hummer. Ohh the recovery was the last in 6 tries. It took 2 weeks to recover this truck. The mud it got stuck in froze then it snowed [​IMG]

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I remember hearing about that on the Off-Road Mailing list. I sure am glad I am not that guy with the Hummer! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Mike,

When I got my blazer stuck in the mud about a month ago, we had 5 fullsize trucks hook to it and it still didn't hardly move it. The front hooks finally let loose after a while and pulled both of them through the front bumper. Now I have custom tow hooks and a front bumper with slices up through it. I guess this gives me a good reason to get an SEC bumper now.

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike, I forgot to tell you..but about 3 years ago on Halloween night there was an 80's F#rd 1 ton stuck a little further in than the cj was. We hooked up 6 full-sizes in a line on the dead-end of that road you were on. Ripped out the crossmember and he did'nt get out til the next day from a back-hoe! Oh yeah...He was running 40 inch Gumbos but you could'nt see any tires at all. Cool ,Huh?

"I'm not stuck...I'm just resting!"