Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winching teniques. I guess this belongs here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhellwig, Oct 5, 2005.

1. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Well I hope this can stay here scince it has to do with winching teniques. I am in need of some tips on winching on my quad. I think the prinicpals are the same from full size truck down to four wheelrs.

Yesterday I was going up a hill and spun out midway. I had to back down but got hung up on a tree. So I had to winch myself up as the only other option was to stare at the sky. I drug the cable out and attacked it to a tree at the top of the hill on my path. The trail curves around through trees and junk so there is no straight line pull. As I pull myself up the hill I can tell that winch line is balling up on one side and wadding up. I am in need of a way to keep this from happening cause once it does you have to go to an area where you can let it out completly straight and then wind it back up.

Is this just one of the woes of winching or is there some trick that you guys have to prevent this from happening?

Thanks for any advice or help anyone can offer. There isn't much of a need for winches on anything but a quad around here cause that is the only think you can get down in the brush and hills.

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Well I take it that every one here is so good at wheelin that they never need to winch. :rolleyes: :D

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

there's nothing you can do to prevent that from happening if you're doing a side pull. it could also do that on a straight-line pull as well. HOWEVER, be sure that you don't bind the cable against the winch itself, effectively jamming it up. oh yeah, and be sure that when attaching the cable to a tree that you use a strap so the cable hook won't be hooked to the cable itself. VERY DANGEROUS!

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Hehe. I don't have one of those nifty straps. I have made a few kinks in the end of me cable though. I wouldn't think of doing it that way if I was doing it with a fullsize rig.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't let the seemingly light weight of a quad fool you. I've seen plenty of those cables snap as well, and the whipping effect of the smaller cable on those winches is probably more fatal than a bigger cable on a truck.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author