Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winching under your truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, May 22, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

One of my friends has an old winch and he ask me how to winch him self out backwords and I told him if he thanks he is going to get stuck pointing the worng way that he sould run his winch cabel under his j*&p and hook it on the rear bumper so when he gets stuck he can pull him self out and the cabel will be where it needs to be. But then He looked at me like I was stupid or something. Have eney of you heard of doing this before or am I just stupid!

Thanks for your time.

Go prepared
    90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

2. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

YOU'RE JUST REALLY STUPID!! j/k... you left the door open. I've heard of it but it's not recomended... the best thing to do is get a reciever mount hitch so that you can put it on the front or back without destroying anything underneath. Where are you from?

NEVER been stuck... *yet* (4wheeling)

Stuck for 10 months (At school)

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Thanks I will tell him that.

I am form Rocky Mount NC it to the east of Raleigh

Go prepared

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it should work, but I keep getting the image in my head of the winch pulling so hard that the truck flips over upside down... also, there is way too much crap under my truck to even think of running a cable under. Id rather just have someone in another truck tag along with me.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

5. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

it might work but i wouldnt want to be around to see it done .........a winch is desined to pull strait in onto the spool the greater the angle you put on the winch the more stress you put on it and on the cable .........its the same reason you dont use a winch to lift the front of your truck up ..........it was never intended for that and is not safe ......either buy a reseiver mount for your winch or keep a budy behind you (you dont 4x4 alone right)

[​IMG]<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I dont have a winch of my own yet but will get one at some time now I know what kind to get. And I will make sure my friend does not try it. I guess I was stupid for telling him that!

Thank you for the info and for most likely saveing my bud some money.

Go prepared

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I would guess that the first thing that would happen if you were to try that is you'd crease your crossover pipe, then maybe your cable would fray from pulling against the frame crossmember. Then pulling at that angle your front bumper would be pulled downward in such a fashion that you'd start breaking bolts at the very least.
    I wouldn't try it.
    I have however straightened out a bent tie rod on the trail by wrapping a chain around it, bringing the ends of the chain together at the center of the bend, hooking a come along to the rear bumper and pulling until the tie rod was straight enough to get home with. That worked pretty well too, the axle shop said that it looked like normal sag[​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    James90,

Yes it works. I drove wreckers before coming into the military (Seymour Johnson, Goldsboro NC). If we were backed into something and couldn't get out, we would run the cable under the wheel lift and under the truck to the front. It would work pretty much the same. If you prepare the truck in advance, it works even better. I've seen people use the rollers that boat trailers use, The big V shaped rubber rollers and guide the cable with those. I would actually suggest if you are going to do it, to run the cable off to the side of the truck, under the axle <font color=red>BUT UNDER ONE OF THE FRONT SPRINGS!!!!</font color=red> This is because you will avoid damage to under chassis components, but you need the spring to support the weight of the truck. If you ran it directly under the truck, you could actually bend the axle housing, doing this will render you more stuck than you were & with damaged equipment.

Just for the record tho, it can be done safely & with out damage. The best way to winch backwards it to have a multi-mount winch though.

Corey
    88K5
    (goldsboro NC)
    coreyperez@hotmail.com

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Isn't that like sticking your head up your own butt? LOL J/K Man,,,, I couldn't resist. [​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

yes it does work but there are other thing that you have to be carefull of too. Most of the guys I've meet that does that say that they change the Hock for a D. Something that if you need to pull it back to the front when your stuck that it isn't going to caught on anything. Most of them say they can pull harder with a strait line but also say that they want it mounted strong. I'm making mine on receiver bar so I can slide it in the front or back.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"