Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winchs and stock bumbers?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by stu454, Dec 16, 2003.

1. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of the feasability of mounting a winch behind the stock bumber on the late '90s Tahoes, Suburbans, etc.?

Is there room between the frame rails? Would it affect the airbag?

Just a wacky idea and I wanted to see if anyone else was as twisted as I am!

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

actually yes i was drawing up some ideas for a hidden winch mount on our body style trucks It would use the front tag as a cover and you could flip it up to get to the winch. there is plenty of space between the frame rails and behind the skid plates on these rigs. have 2 built in control switchs one under the hood and 1 in cab for assisted wheelin. i think that would be Where you wheeling at?

3. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Thanks! We'll need to put our heads together on this one.

I wheel mostly on old forest service roads in NE Georgia (Clayton, Tate City, Young Harris, etc.). Wouldn't be challenging for 40" trucks but it keeps me busy in my stock Tahoe /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . I really enjoy camping and have half the fun by getting to some secluded spot.

I was thinking about going up and knocking around one day this weekend. Let me know if you'd like to head up there with me.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

why would you want a hidden winch, other than to hide it from thieves (besides, who steals a winch - thats a LOT of trouble to go to)?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    besides, who steals a winch - thats a LOT of trouble to go to

[/ QUOTE ]
    The same scumbags that will smash out a $200 window, to rip a $100 stereo out of the dash, doing $500 in damage to the dash in the process. They will then sell the stereo for $20 to buy some more crack. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Stealing a winch is even easier, since they don't even have to get inside the truck. Remove 4 bolts, cut the battery cables and boogie. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. thezentree

i reckon so, but even then, a stereo doesnt weigh 100 pounds. but they say if someone wants it bad enough, theyll have it.

i guess i live in a low crime area. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well i just got the battery replaced under its warrenty 800cca Duralast gold. But i still have to get wheel bearings and check out the ifs its really low on gear dope. i replaced the driver side seal the pass. side goes out /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why would you want a hidden winch, other than to hide it from thieves (besides, who steals a winch - thats a LOT of trouble to go to)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's different, and also it'll save me from having to buy a new bumper.

9. thezentree

good reasons! cool idea at any rate /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif