Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

window and bed glue cleaning questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Apr 15, 2007.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

how are yall guys removing the oxidation or buildup on your windows, i want them bright and shiny, new looking. and also how are yall removing the bed glue used to keep the carpet and insulation down? i am using a putty knife but theres got to be a better way. thanks for the help!

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

My wife used a can of Carb Cleaner and a green scotch brite pad. BTW, this also removed most of the OEM paint down to the primer. We plan on using Rust Bullet to prime it again. Then I will most likely cover it again.

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

The best thing I have found to remove the oxidation and oily buildup on the windows was to use 100% alcohol. You will find it in the medical section of any supermarket. You'll see witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, etc. Just make sure it's 100%. I also found that lens cleaner from Lens Crafters does the trick as well, but it's pricey.

As far as the bed glue, get a heat gun or a hair dryer and heat the area up. When warm/hot it should scrap easier. After you get most of it up, again apply the alcohol. It will destroy the glue's adhesiveness and it'll come right up. Doesn't do any damage to paint as far as I know.

Best wishes.

Manny

4. obijuan

sweet info guys thanks! i was ripping out the carpet in the bed last year and then it got cold, so i quit! lol gotta finish the other side. manny, grimjaw, thanks!

5. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

I used a sturdy putty knife/ scraper and a hammer. Use it sorta like a chisel. Also, I used my side grinder with a good wire cup brush. I was bedlining, so I did not care about the paint.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use Acetone for the sticky glue. Works great just be careful that you're working in an open area or you'll get high really quick. :D

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used WD-40 and a plastic scraper to get most of the adhesive off. What little bit was left either got hit with a side grinder holding a wire cup or a random orbit sander. I too did not care about the surface since I bedlined and then reinstalled the carpet.

8. obijuan

i will be painting it so its gotta look kinda nice for at least a few days. ill try all your suggestions with the top OFF. that helps alot for the fumes! lol thanks guys