Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

window chanel molding seals installation

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by DukeBoy88, May 13, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I purchased replacement window chanel molding for my '85 and am wondering how they are installed. does the window glass have to be removed, or can it be slid down the track with the glass in place? thanks in advance.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my rear window it just sort of snapped out and the new back in, we did it with the window in. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I meant the drivers and passengers roll-down windows

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I did mine with the window in. Roll your windows all teh way down. Grab a small screwdriver (I wrapped the end of the screwdriver in tape so I wouldn't scratch anything) and pry the seal away just enough to get a grip with a set of pliers. Pull straight up and it should start to work itself out. Pull a small section at a time a little at a time unitl the seal pops out. Then put the new one in. I wanted the seals to slide in easy, so I put a thin coating of vaseline on the underside where the clips are. Snapped right in! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can do the inner and outer seals this way.

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wanted the seals to slide in easy, so I put a thin coating of vaseline on the underside where the clips are. Snapped right in! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can do the inner and outer seals this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif why didn't i think of that when doing mine /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

that worked great, thanks alot. little bit of a fight to get them in but probobly easier then removing the window. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    that worked great, thanks alot. little bit of a fight to get them in but probobly easier then removing the window. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, I know this is kicking the door WIDE OPEN here, but I keep a small jar of vaseline in my tool box. It's good for all kinds of stuff and cleans off stuff MUCH easier than grease. It's amazing what a little lube in the shop will do for you /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Right on! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I know this is kicking the door WIDE OPEN here, but I keep a small jar of vaseline in my tool box. It's good for all kinds of stuff and cleans off stuff MUCH easier than grease. It's amazing what a little lube in the shop will do for you /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Vasoline will help ANYTHING slide right in the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

ya just gotta be careful, 'cause Vaseline isn't good for, uhh, latex products. SOOOO, your latex products are gonna get little holes in them /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. And stuff can get in them /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. More importantly, stuff can get OUT of them... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    ya just gotta be careful, 'cause Vaseline isn't good for, uhh, latex products. SOOOO, your latex products are gonna get little holes in them /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. And stuff can get in them /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. More importantly, stuff can get OUT of them... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya just gotta be careful, 'cause Vaseline isn't good for, uhh, latex products. SOOOO, your latex products are gonna get little holes in them . And stuff can get in them . More importantly, stuff can get OUT of them...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

now I am curious on just how you acquired this knowledge?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif