Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Window Guides

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Sep 21, 2002.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

While I was sittin at the shop by myselft tonight I decided Id fix my rear window. Its kinda slow and stops 4 in from the top unless somebody taps on the glass. First I found that the bottom of the window hits the motor on the way up. Secondly the right side track/guide was totally gone and the left side is rusted and in pieces. Im going to order the guides from LMC but what I'd like to know is will the new guides stop the window from hitting the motor and how difficult is it to put the guides in (whats involved) /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: Rear Window

i have to do the same thing..im in the middle kind of, of putting power window guts into my new RUST FREE tailgate. i need the giudes to. but im still trying to get the damn window to even work, im going to finish this small progect up after the new rear floor is in, so i have something to bolt the thing to lol..

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The new guides are held in by two bolts on each side. There is a fair bit of adjustment there so it should be able to be adjusted so the glass has a clear path up and down. The guides should have felt inserts too...without the felt there is too much slop in the guides and the window will hit junk on the way up. I'm not sure if LMC sells the felt though or if it comes with the new guides.

To replace the guides you'll have to pull the glass out first. Drop the glass all the way down and try and remove the rubber wiper and the felt strip. This is about the trickiest part...it's hard to get it out without ruining it. Drop the tailgate down and raise the glass about halfway up and support it with a sawhorse or something. With the access panel off you'll see the glass is bolted to two slider tracks. Unbolt the glass and wrestle it out...

On the outside of the gate at the sides you'll see a couple of bolts, one near the top of the gate and one near the bottom. These two bolts hold the side guides in. Unbolt these and reach inside the gate and removes the guides.

Bolt up the new guides and re-install the glass. Close the gate and have someone raise the glass while you watch if it hits anything and where it hits.

Rene

4. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Hey, make sure you let us know if that helps to ease the glass going up!!
    I may do the same if it's a success -- can't stand having to go back there a help it with my hand, especially in the winter.
    Someone please figure out how to make a window motor doubler!!!!

5. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

How old is your motor to regulator cable? I had the same problem, window very slow and sometimes would just stop part way up. I put a new $30 cable on and now it works like new,pretty fast going up now. made a major difference /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

I took a 4 inch grinder to the lip on the window frame and made it flush with the frame where it was hitting the motor, now it slide's past the bottom of the motor with ease. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. daleearnhardt01

Im not sure about the cable but I took off the end at the motor and could put the window up just spinnin it with my hand. All I know is the guides are gone and Im gettin em for 28 a piece from Dominion Chevrolet here in town. Hopefully I can do it myself because my boss doesnt seem to be too interested in helping me. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

My cable is fairly new but I've never checked how well it was lubed since the guy I bought the truck from 3 years ago put it in. Maybe I'll try that. I'm thinking it's the guides. Also, I replaced the seals at the top of the gate (bought them from JC Whitney) and have wondered if they're just too tight. Plus, one clip in the middle always grabs the glass and pulls up inverting the seal and causing it to stop -- only solution is to back it down and up several times to get it to slip pass. *%^#@#@ing thing..
    smack

9. daleearnhardt01

Another thing also. I ordered the guides from the dealer but saw that LMC has things called guide caps. What are these and do I need to get them along w/ the new guides.

10. daleearnhardt01

Well I got the new guides today and doesnt seem to be a bad job but just wanted to know... LMC has something called the guide caps to go on the guides. What are these and are they necessary. Thanks

11. daleearnhardt01

Does anybody know? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Damn windows, I have been trying to remidy this this past month also. Mine also seems to hit the bottom of the window on something in the tailgate. I alreaddy had replaced the tracks and guides a few years ago. Recently the bottom metal piece of the window got real rusty and flimsy so I got that from GM and replaced that also. The tail gate is also new. I have everything lubed and the motor works fine and I still have to help the window up and down, and forget about it with the truck not running. I even replaced the wires with thicker gauge. I was messin around w/ it last night and found that if the side tracks are loose that the window moves up and down ok, but tighten them up and it sticks. I'm pretty much to the point of swithing over to the manual crank window. I'm afraid that it will get stuck up or down some day (has happened) and them I'll be screwed.

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Same boat here. I've been floating the problem for about couple years, Maybe this weekend when I put in my new glass I will try getting mine fixed. I like the idea posted - grinding the window lip, adjusting the guides, lubing the cable, maybe I need a new motor too. When I rebuild the tailgate about 3 years ago I done everything new except the glass and motor. I'm getting a new glass soon (to replace my tinted glass that got busted) so maybe a new motor and the above will help. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Thanks, Jeremiah

14. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Yep, Rear power window's can be a royal pain in the arse! can't tell you how many times I've had mine apart. seem's like you get one thing fixed then another problem pop's up. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

My motor was hitting on the way up, so I gently bent the motor while connected to the tailgate away from the travel area of the window. This "fix" has worked for 2 years now, and it occured to me that the motor may have been pushed in from climbing on the tailgate. The slow travel can be from wires, motor, cable, regulator, guides, and the "fuzzys" in the top get squished with time.

Matt

16. schwank

schwank Registered Member

Got a cable coming this week from LMC... a couple of you guys mentioned lubing the cable proper...

Please elaborate. You lube both ends, or what?

17. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Where did you get that cable from?

18. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

chevy dealer

19. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

maybe just once a year or so spray some pb blaster in it till it leaks out the bottom of the cable when your holding it verticle

20. schwank

schwank Registered Member

Guide Caps are the small black triangular(sorta) caps on the top corner of the tailgate proper. they attach with a couple screws and just top off the guide so no junk gets in it...