Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Window handle fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Panther, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. When I got the Jimmy, the window crank handles were off and I had to get the window down to go home (damn Turnpike tolls /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif ). I tried to just slip the handle over the splined peg and turn it, but the window was stuck. So I ended up using a set of vise-grips. I tried to be careful, but of course, it screwed up the splines on the peg. Any ideas on a quick or (not-so-quick) correct fix for that?

Also, would my 73 have the standard clip that holds on the handles? The two loose handles don't seem to have them. Is the clip a separate piece?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The clip is a seperate piece. It is basically like a paperclip that has been bent in a U shape, but a little bit stronger. You can get them for a resto catalog for $.50 each. If you buy a replacement handle, it should come with one but be warned all the replacement handles I've bought LOOK like the OE thing, but all have broken. I pulled some OE used ones from the boneyard and they don't break.
    As far as the splines being screwed, you have two choices. Replace the window regulator (no fun) or try to unmangle the splines a little. It is not a precision fit, just unmangle them enough (maybe with a flattip screwdriver) so that you can pop the handle on.
    -- Mike
    -- Mike