Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Window issue ( Driver Side )

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flynhi, Mar 13, 2003.

1. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

Is there some secret technique in replacing the guide back on the window with out breaking it(window), I want to use a hammer ... but i know that is not a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

take the window out?............ take the wing assembly out then you can take the window out.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

it's a major PITA, I know that...I just did the same thing a couple of months ago.

seems like I ran the regulator all the way up, with the ends coming out of the top of the door, put the glass on and ran it back down.

4. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

Is your window off track?
    If it is, you need to start by removing the door panel.(note: these instructions are for a late 70's model K5 w/o power windows)

There should be a row of holes at the bottom of the door panel, remove those screws. Now remove the arm rest by taking out the two screws that hold it in place (they can be found on the inside of the arm rest). Now remove the window crank and door lock nob. Lift the bottom of the door panel away from the door and apply upward force (this can be a pain in the arse). This should remove the door panel. If you look inside the door you'll see the rear window track. It has one bracket holding it in place in the middle of the door. Remove the bolt holding that bracket in place and push on the track to relocate it on the window. Now roll your window up and reinstall the rear window track bolt. Re-assemble and you should be good to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

i have the same prob. except my cousin told me that there is a clip missing in the door that holds the window on track. he got it up for me once, then i took the top off and needless to say there wnet the window again. that was back in september. and to this day it is still off.

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna go do that right now. Take the bolt off the rear track, roll the window up an then bold the track back up right?

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Dude, are you talking about the metal channel that attaches to the bottom of the pane itself? It has a rubber liner that goes between the glass and the metal? If so, I kow what you mean. I replaced the door window on a toyota camry once and even with the excellent toyota shop manual, I couldnt figure out how to get the old channel on the new window. I tried soaping the rubber an the glass and pushing it on, I tried tapping it with a nylon hammer. What finally worked was I used the c-clamp type vice grips and clamped the window to my workbench with just the edge I was working with overhanging. I used a few strips of leather between the clamps and glass and a shop rag between the workbench and glass. Then I proceeded to tap the channel on using a rubber mallet and some fairly forceful whacks. Of couse the pucker factor was in effect and even though it worked I decided that this was probably NOT the proper way to do this.
    So, shortly after I got my K% the passenger window stopped going up and down, even though the crank would turn and I could hear and feel the regulator moving inside the door. Turns out the same channel I am talking about had come off of the bottom edge of the window. This time I did something smart. I took the window and the bottom channel out and cleaned off the mating surfaces really good. I scraped all traces of the rubber liner out of the channel and off the bottom edge of the glass. Then I put a nice thick bead of silicone caulk into the channel and then pressed it onto the glass. I used masking tape on the channel to hold it firmly in place and I let it cure overnight. The next day it was stuck on really tight so I put it all back together and for the last 4 months or so it's been working like a charm. Now it seems the same thing is happening on the drivers side, so I'm gonna do the same thing to fix that one too. If this is your problem, hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif