Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Window motor trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

After putting some time in with the '79 project, I decieded to work on the K5. If you have been following some of my posts, then you know that I bought the Blazer a couple weeks ago. It spent a week or so in the tranny shop getting a 700R4 rebuilt to handle whatever I throw at it (I hope), and I tell you it shifts strong. Anyway, every single power window has problems. The drivers motor works but wont moe the glass. I can push the glass up and down by hand. The rear window needs a "helping han to roll up. And finally I rolled down the passenger window, but the motor won't even turn to roll it up. With all of the rain that we have been getting lately, I figured the pass. window would be the first one to be fixed. I found a broken wire on the switch. I installed a switch out of another blazer, but the motor still wouldn't turn the motor to push the window up. Eventually, I was able to retrieve the regulator assembly out of the door. I assumed that since I replaced the switch, that the motor had to be bad, so off to O'Reillys' I went to buy another one. When I returned, I plugged in the new motor and It wouldn't turn the opposite direction either. Does anyone know where I should look now? Thanks in advance.

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Check the continuity and wire voltages. Make sure that you are getting 12 volts both directions out of the switch and at the motor. You have a dead circuit or a bad motor.

Bench test the motor with direct wiring for each direction. If it works there, the wiring is bad on your rig.

Lube up the regulators and moving parts. IMO don't use lithium grease. It drys after a while and can become sticky.

3. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I had an hour to troubleshoot today. I think I found the problem. The drivers side switch may be bad. It appears to work well, but if I "jiggle-it" while trying to operate the passenger switch, then the passenger switch functions normally. I inspected the drivers switch and there are no apparently visble problems, so I am going to replace them. While I had the drivers door trim off, I noticed that the regulator is broken. One of the bushings has come out of the regulator. I am going to get a new regulator, switch, and replace the driver side motor while I am at it. Can I get all of these parts from NAPA or O'reillys? Or will I have to find a junkyard or buy from LMC? I noticed that the switch is around $50 t LMC! What kind of greese do I use on the gears?