Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

window motors wher to get UPDATE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jan 18, 2002.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i did a search for power window motors and found a great one from esteban and the thing came out "pretty" easy. my gears and regulators seem to be fine, but when i used wire straight from the power, to test the motor, it just hummed a little and moved about 2 degrees and quit, i assume from the casing being pressed together that it was not meant to be repaired!? so where do i get replacement motors?
    thanks

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by RESTORE89 on 01/19/02 03:44 PM.</FONT></P>

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: window motors wher to get

Got mine from Autozone for about $40 each.......don't forget to clean and Lube everything while you're in there.......if you got the cash and time, it's also a good time to insulate the doors with Dynamat (or some accoustic mat material).....helps quiet the cab, and improve the sound of your stereo.....(I did my whole truck)....

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How come nobody produces faster/better motors for these?
    THe windows on newer cars fly....

Dynamat - where in the door did you stick it? Probably easiest on the outside skin.....

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I placed the Dynamat on the inside outer skin (?) of the doors...also in the rear when I did my speakers, inside the tailgate, roof under the headliner, and I have the mat to put under the carpet in the cab......I'm gonna wait and do that this summer when I pull my interior to clean it thoroughly......the mat has made a huge difference in the noise level of the truck, and adds a "quality" sound when I shut the door.....I run a 400w Alpine/Sony w/12" built into the rear......the mat made a difference.....I'd like to find a way to do some sort of headliner/insulation for the rear cap......I have the Gold Bose in the "little white car", and I think the K5 actually sounds better........I got a BFG whatever I drive.....LOL......ya know what I mean?...

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

did they have to order or were they stock item?
    since i posted this i decided to be energetic and went down to the garage and tore into the actual workings of the motor
    i drilled out the tabs and disassembled the motor and cleaned the armature and the brushes, and the motor was zooming when i put it back to gether, only prob was it lasted long enough to make about 6 rpms of the shaft and then died, i took it apart again and recleaned and blew out with the air nozzle, did the same thing again. decided it was time to find some new motors.
    it was either work on the truck, chat on here about the truck, or watch TV and think about fixing the truck.
    [​IMG] I decided to DO instead of think for once, what was i thinking, we should warn others[​IMG]
    i now have a working knowledge of the internal components of my window motors
    file that with the eating habit of a duckbilled platypus.
    the insulation idea is a great one, because i just replaced my window sills and gaskets to quiet the cab noise
    thanks
    'chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If I remember right, they had one motor in stock, and had to order the other .....took like about 2 days.....I replaced motors in both doors, along with the felt in the track and along the door sill.....drivers side works great....passenger side is still slow....thinkin' I either have a bad ground, or a bad switch.....haven't gotten around to the tailgate yet.....it's slow, but hasn't made me crazy enough to jump on it.......

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

[smile]Re: window motors wher to get

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]where do you get dynamat and how much is it??
    i love it when a a project goes the way it is suppose to
    i went to napa this a.m. and picked up the 2 window motors they had in stock and came back and installed one
    i figured out a neat trick to get the bolts to line up with the holes
    get 1 of the 2 studs into the hole by force, and then use the switch to move the assembly in the right place
    it took less time to install than to remove
    about 45 minutes total including reinstalling door panel
    i could not find the insulation mat at napa or walmart, but walmart had a foiled insulated visor thing you put in the windshield. it was bigger than both doors and cost $8. I cut it into strips small enough to fit in the access hole and coated the door panel and the strip with spray adhesive and a little bit of silicone adhesive and glued the strips in place.
    hopefully tommorow the passenger door will go just as well
    now when you close the door it sounds much more solid and is quieter inside
    also found lots of debris in the bottom of the door (glass washers nuts dirt etc.) i think this also helps make it sound less rattly when the door closes
    last week i was real frustrated, but am feeling much more like not trading for a GEO now that a few things are going properly
    thanks for the ideas
    and the sugesstions, espescially the insulation, with out that idea i prob would not have made the improvement
    thanks again
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[smile]Re: window motors wher to get

Dynamat (Accoustimat).....got mine from a stereo store.....about $50 per sheet......enough for the two doors and tailgate with a little left over......cost about $200 for the whole truck, but then I overdid the reccommended coverage a little....thinkin' you can get it at Circuit City also......