Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Window not working; window switch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 12, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

A few weeks ago, I ran outside to rool up my windows in my 87 K5...I did it from the drivers seat using the drivers side switches. When I went to put up the passenger window, nothing happened...But I went to the passenger window and the window went up just fine with the passenger side swithc. Now the damn thing won't go down. When I hit the switch in the "down" direction there is nothing, no click, do drop in the voltmeter, nothing.But when I hit the switch in the up driection, the voltmeter drops just a hair and there is an audible click (the same click that you hear when you try to roll the windo up and its up all the way already). So does this mean that the "down side of the switch is fried or what? I know absolutely NOTHING about how power windows work. Any ideas gang...

Thanks in advacne...

Chris

2. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

sounds like what happened on my moms car. her problem was the regulator

3. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

Same thing started to happen to mine, then one day it just gave up. All i did was disconnect the wires where they come into the door and clean the contacts. Works great and is faster now. I'm in the area now, so you can email me if that doesn't work.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, if you have to go this far, you can EASILY rebuild the switches provided they aren't broken. Typically the only thing that breaks are the connecting pins on the back, other than that, its a simple copper rocker switch inside, and the copper corrodes.

Sandpaper and some corrosion resistant grease will make them good as new.