Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Window Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZfromNJ, Sep 16, 2002.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I am having a window probelm? The glass continues to pop off the track. I recently put on new door panels from LMC and I thik they are the problem. My friends seem to think that it is the window mechanics that are failing. Any help?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know the door panels from LMC state they aren't direct replacements, so I'd guess if they were "cast" wrong, with the window seal exerting a lot of pressure on the window as it goes up and down, then that could be a problem.

I'd suspect more likely that the tracks or regulator mechanism is messed up, but pulling the door panels back off should let you see whats going on inside fairly well.

Did you have any problems before installing the LMC panels, and if you didn't, did you have any problems while changing the panels, that might have affected the window mechanism?

3. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

NO i never had this problem before I installed the new door panels. I honestly dont think that the door panels totally support the window in the regulator. My friend told me that he thinks the regulator is shot but I am not so sure but I guess that can be it. I guess my next question is do you know of anywhere that does make the exact door panel replica and do you know where I can get a regulator from?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't have door panels in mine, and haven't for about 2 years now. Never given me a problem. Of course, I also have manual windows to keep from having problems like others do : )

You sure you aren't having problems with bent window tracks or something?

Only direct replacement door panels I can think of are from GM. If someone else knows of some, I'd like to know, as I'm having a hard time finding some my color.

Regulator, probably GM or LMC again, or just get one out of a wrecked truck. The newer the better.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sounds like door gremlins to me. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif I had the exact same thing happen to me. It was just a weird coincidence in my case. You can get most of what you need from a junk yard pretty cheap. If you want to buy new, then there are several places to buy from LMC is a bit on the $$ side, but the parts usually work great. There is also chevyduty.com, and a few other places like that. Also, if you want a direct factory replacement, call the dealer get the part number, and then order it off gmpartsdirect.com. WAY better prices than the dealer.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had a problem with my drivers window that turned out to be the track on the back side of the glass. This is the track inside the door by the latch, there is a tab spot welded on the bottom of the track with a bolt hole so that it can be secured inside the door shell. The tab on mine broke loose and every time I closed the door the back end of the window would come out of the track. A quick new spot weld fixed it right up.

Just my .02