Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Window problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Mar 22, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I don't know if anyone else has experienced very slow electric window motors but if you have is there a way to fix them? My driver side and passenger side window take about 30 seconds to raise and lower. I also have a problem with my rear window. It raises and lowers just fine but about 3/4 of the way up when I raise it...it sounds like it jumps track. What could that be?

2. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the same problem with my passenger side window and also with the "popping" noise when I used the rear window. I always thought that the motor was beginning to wear out on the pass. window because I greased the tracks and it didn't improve it at all. I'm not sure what the rear noise is but you are not alone with these problems.
    Ray

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

On the side windows, generally the white lithium grease that was applied from the factory has turned to the consistency of bubble gum and rock candy. You'll need to clean all of the old grease off and apply new white lithium or synthetic grease. Rear window has the same problem with the lithium grease. Another problem I noted on my rear window was an huge voltage drop at the motor. I had to run a new 10 ga wire harness from the front to the tailgate and motor. This cured the slow rear window problem. Prior to that, I replaced the motor, drive cable and cleaned all the connectors. This helped a little. It wasn't until I replaced the wires that the window rolled up. Try cleaning the old grease out of the regulators first.

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

No, you are not alone!! Mine do exactly the same thing, and I am sick of it! :) I greased my front ones up, and they do well for a couple of days, but then the same old thing, it sucks. As for the back, I have the new drive cable, gonna try to find time to swap it out after I get back from my trip. Hope that helps. The voltage drop problem sounds like it could be the real fix, because if it doesn't have the power, well that window is too damn heavy for a half-power window motor! I will keep that in mind if nothing else works...I just think that there must be a track problem when the window jumps like that...

5. Mine too! To make it worse, my back window hangs up on the power box half way down, still haven't figured out a fix for that, I have to crawl back there every time to free it, then another 10 seconds and it's up! I live in Phoenix so I just ride with it down all the time.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I know the others talked about greasing the tracks, but our patrol car windows get slow and our shop uses this teflon spray in the guides that line the front and rear of the window. Talking about the rubber like u-shaped groove that the window fits into and slides through as it goes up and down. It works for us.

[​IMG]

7. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I have same problems as above. Did the spray in the tracks last year w/ little to no luck. As far as the side windows, I recall older posts mentioning how new motors & lube did the trick (I think). I'll try cleaning out the inner tracks on my passg. side win. & relubing it w/ some synthetic grease before tearing into a new motor.

[​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of