Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

window repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Nov 28, 2002.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

I just got off the boat(Im in the navy) and my doors wouldnt unlock. I had a friend bust out the window on the passenger side door because i didnt have the heart to hurt my baby. Its the triangle window that angels out. Im thinking about ripping one out of a juck truck at the yards and putting it in the blazer. How hard is this to do? Can I do it or do I have to go and get the window replaced somewhere?

lmk
    Nick
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

thats the worst window to break! I swapped both of mine (thanks steph!)...it wasn't that big of a deal, but I was swapping doors at the same time. The biggest problem your going to face in replacing it is getting a junk yard frame that's not all rusted...with good weatherstrip etc.. if yours is in good condition your better off taking the frame out, and bringing it to an auto glass place and having them replace the glass. unless of course you don't care what condidtion its in..then a junk yard one is fine.

Brandy

3. andyzach

andyzach Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifjust pull the glass out of a junk truck and use a $3.00 tube of urathan black to glue it in your existing frame. iv done it a thousand times. heating the frame makes pulling glass out a little easyer on junk truck.

4. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

yea i got it. I just took a screwdriver and mallet to the old frame and pryed it out. kindof messed the junk frame. Still cost me 30 bucks though. he wanted 55 to get it for me but im not gonna pay him for something i can do myself.