Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windows 98 Registry editing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Oct 2, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm a noob when it comes to Registry editing. But I'm sure I've got a bunch of crap in it from old software I've since uninstalled. Is there a point-n-click Registry editor available that keeps the un-informed (like me) from F'ing things up badly?

BTW, this is the original OS install from '99 when the comp. was built for me...

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

just back up the registry to a floppy then use REGEDIT

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Better explain CMD to him first.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You don't need too.

Start->run->regedit

Its that simple then make sure you make a backup. If not you are screwed.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You are right, I was thinking of ipconfig, which I have to do all the time on my laptop when travelling. Release, renew, release, renew...it's a vicious cycle..... :mad:

6. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Ace Logix makes a Registry TuneUp that works very well and has a 30 day trial. If you unsure what something is in regedit you can mess your computer up. Trust me, I've done it before :crazy:
    http://www.acelogix.com/download.html

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I agree with him. Don't use regedit unless you really, really know what you are doing. If you're a newbie, it's real easy to screw something up real bad to where the computer won't work and you can't get back online to get easy help. Get that program instead.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I would consider there being three options;

1. Format and reinstall everything
    2. Leave it and not think about it
    3. Use Norton System works (I think) to scan and fix it (or whatever the best current recommended product is)

This is partially why, when you use the older versions of Windows, it seems to really improve performance when you wipe it and start fresh once a year.

I would be wary of manually cleaning the registry. Windows 98 is not as self-protecting as 2000 and XP, and you can easily hose the box by one incorrect entry. The registry usually has an Entry A that references or is referenced by Entry B. If you nuke one and not the other, Windows chokes when Entry B looks for Entry A and Entry A is not there.
    The best way to do it is totally inefficient, too; back up the entire registry (click on "My Computer" in Regedit, and select "export" from the registry menu), back up each individual key you're about to change, and reboot after every change to make sure windoze still works.

All that said, Win98 makes a new registry backup at every successful boot. Even if you're ultra careful but you still make a wrong turn and completely hose the box, you can boot to a dos disk (like the win98 CD), and restore a previous version of the registry. I can't remember the commands and would have to look them up before I could be any help with that though (I'm sure it's available all over the internet or someone else knows, too).

I would still say wipe and reinstall. 9 times out of ten, the person who set up your machine copied your install files fromt he CD to a folder on the hard drive (usually C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, should be about 80Mb-100Mb), and you can get the windows product Key from the registry before wiping.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I was hoping to avoid the "format and reinstall" game since I don't have a Win98 CD. The computer was built for me by a former boss of mine, and I think he was using a hacked OEM version of 98 on the boxes he built. Not sure about that, though. I know he kinda hemmed and hawed when I asked him for a Win98 CD before he transferred to Hawaii...

I looked at C:\Windows\Options\Cabs; the directory has only 20 files, less than 2.5MB total.
    However, there's about 120MB worth of files in C:/Win98, and a lot of them are Zipped. If I burn that whole directory to a CD, should I be able to boot from it?

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No, those are misc files that are dropped by other programs and created/config'd by windows as it's installed/service packed, usually well integrated into the registry. It wouldn't be bootable.

So with that option out, I'd go for the commercial cleaner utility. I might have something you can use that's legit/licensed, but the download suggested above might be better and more modern...