Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windows Windows Windows!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Jan 26, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, ive been having some problems with my windows..... first the drivers side used to roll up and down , but got slower,,,and slower and slower. Now it dosent roll up all the way,or go at all....it just sits there:confused:

The BACK window,,,, it rolls down ,(real slow,) but dosent roll up all the way.:confused: ,,,again the driver side got slower and slower,,,,,,,and stopped. And the back is starting to go real slow, and dosnt roll all the way up,but goes down slow. Is there something i can grease up??:confused: :)

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

drop the tailgate, unscrew the access panel. Unscrew the cable that transmits the power for the window. Put a power dril on that cable and run the window out. Grease the tracks and anything you can for the window. Run it down and back up and do it again. I used to have to do that once every month or so on my K5. As for your drivers door. Try the samething I guess, never had power side windows just retrofitted the rear.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Window motors are tired and the tracks are dirty. I just replaced my driver side for the second time. This time I used a new motor from Napa - part # 655-1374 - faster than they have ever been!

While the door is open clean and lube the tracks. I used WD40 on the metal tracks then sprayed grease from aerosol can on all roller tracks and window guides. I did not use WD40 on the rubber pieces. Wipe off excess from window and rubber pieces and you should be good to go.

1 more thing - this job is a ROYAL PITA. It is a little easier on my doors because I have speakers mounted on the very bottom front. I can not imagine replacing the motor without this hole unless you pull the regulator off the door. That might be the correct way to do this job anyway.

My back window is also slow. I will try cleaning it again but I am sure the motor is tired.

4. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

mine were doing the same thing, i first replaced the cable on the back window, no improvement, so i then replaced the motor on the drivers side, it was really slow too, that worked like a charm, so i am planning on replacing the motor in the back soon too.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool guys thanks, its an 85, if thats any help.:) Could it need just a greasin"? I should mabey do that first??:)

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, simply greasing it will get you down the road for a few more miles. Plan on replcaing soemday. Also giving the motor an assist with your hand will help. When they stall/thermal it takes lots of life out of the motor.