Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windows xp install pro help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DUKE, Sep 4, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

okay i am the oem version of win xp professional. I have a new system 40gig hd 256bm mem 1gigcelleron proccessor. anyway for building it myself it has gone really well. Untill the windows install. As i install i keep getting these errors, like "can not copy file " " enter to try again Ecs to skip". I natural hit enter. sometimes it works sometimes it promps again "the file setup is trying to copy dose not match windows image. if you are using the windows xp cd make sure the cd is in the drive. If the cd is in the drive there may be an error on the cd."
    well after a few skips it can not load any more and gives me a memory management error. I have turned off all the showdowing as it ask.
    Microsoft dosent offer support for oem (well they charge) and the only thing tiger direct will offer is a new cd. any ideas? email or pm
    or post.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bad cd, I've had this happen a dozen times, only when I'm using a cd copied on a certain burner at work. If I switch to a different cd, the errors go away.

What do you mean OEM? That usually means it shipped with a computer, not a retail off-the-shelf version. If so, how are you getting a cd from tiger of it??

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Also a dirty CD .. Had it happen a couple times on 98 installs but not yet on a XP Install

4. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Hmm okay.
    I just got it through the site
    web page

Microsoft said that it was legit. so did tiger. ??

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, I was just on the phone with MS asking if I could sell my unopened copies of Win98 with a cheesy piece of hardware, and they said no way!!

That looks like a pretty smokin' deal, though.
    I'd clean the disk like Dan said or get a new one from Tiger.

6. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

check your disc and try a new one if possible,if still having problems it could possibly be the harddrive even though it is new it could have a bad sector in it, it happens, i had it happen to me and had to take the other hard drive back and get another one took me two days to figure out the cd wasn't the problem, got a bad hard drive.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same problems and it was caused by bad ram.
    The memory management error is the giveaway. Try a new stick of ram, or if you have more than one try each of them seperately. Good luck, and I hope it helps.