Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windows XP multi user help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zcarczar, Mar 25, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok as I sit here Im trying to figure out how to hack XP into only letting me have the permission to reboot the computer. It kind of pisses me off when I have things running and my little sister comes over and reboots the computer and fawks it all up. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif BTW this is on Windows XP home edition. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Set the screen saver for password protected.. When it kicks on only the person with the password can use it..

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I know about that but I have to be able to let everyone be able to use this computer. If I dont everyone gets pissed off at me for "hogging" the computer.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

There's a policy for this in XPpro I think. XP home, I have no idea.

Try typing "gpedit.msc" at the run line and see if you get the policy editor. If you do, look under user or computer settings, down under security for something to do with rebooting and what groups are allowed to.

If I weren't on vacation, I'd prolly be on my XP laptop right now and could be a better help... Sorry!

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I dont think the home is setup for serious multiuser accounts. Go into control panel and see if there is an icon called "Users" in there you can make new accounts and set permission levels and stuff. Dont know much about home though as I've never used it.