Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windsheild frame: Welding

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robin, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

This is partly to make conversation, since I haven't posted anything in awhile...

Has anyone welded the seams around the windsheild frame stub at the top corners. With the windsheild out it seems quite flimsy. Seems like welding a plate on the stubs (right now the 3 machine screws imbedded in the door seal hold the stub together) and along the gap in the top corners, would go a long way to stiffen the window frame up.

What I'm thinking about using is the mounting plates out of the old door frame seal and welding it over the exposed sheetmetal. This will add about 18ga. thickness which shouldn't mis-align anything too much... It might even allow the rubber to hold a more water-tight seal...

I was also thinking about a rollbar attachment from the top corners of the windsheild back to the main loop, so establishing a good platform to mount it to, makes sense.

What do ya'll think?