Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windsheild wipers going backwards??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, Oct 14, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am hooking up my windsheild wipers for the first time. I got a new switch from Chevyduty, got it mounted, put in a fuse, turned on the wipers and popped the fuse. Looked at the wires and it seems the 12v+ feeds a yellow wire that goes to two plugs that plug into the motor. The other wire on the plug is the 12v- (ground) and that goes through the switch and then out to either plug. Seems simple enough. I unplugged both harness' from the motor, replaced the fuse and turned on the switch. No suprise - the fuse didn't blow. I plugged the top plug back in and POP. Hmmm. I pulled out the lug, replaced the fuse, and put the plug back on - except this time I flipped it over so that it was backwards from the way it was. Turned on the wipers and they work!! But they go backwards. When you turn them off they default to the "up" position, turn them on and they go down to the rubber and then back up.
    Can some one help me here? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id try flipping them around, maybe that ill work, good luck

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

You got your truck upside down...you need to take it apart and put it back together with the bottom facing up....geez.

4. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Check the arm that attaches to the motor, you could have it facing in a different direction, you may have to loosen the nut and re-ajust that small arm in order to correct the wiper's movements, hope this helps.
    Make sure you tighten the nut tight or have it swivel with hardly any movement from the wipers.
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. swamp donkey

This seems like the best place to start. I pulled off the cowl that covers all that junk, turned on the wipers (without the wiper arms attached) and watch what was going on. The motor turns in a counter clockwise direction, and it goes a full 360 deg. After staring at it for a couple minutes I decided that my feeble brain could not decide whether moving that arm to a new location would help or not. I will stare at it some more and do more tests later.

Thnaks.

ps - Is it possible that this is the Austailian K5 and so everything runs backward, you know like water down a drain?? hahahha.

6. swamp donkey

KSS - another classic example of over thinking the problem. I took another look at where the arms attach to the motor (underneath the cowl) and decided to pull off the nut and see what I could see. Low and behold the arm can attatch two way, the way it was, and 180 deg of that. Put it back on the other way and everything is peachy-keen.
    Thanks for the input.

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

looks like you got it That's exactly what I was going to tell you to do. I had the same problim.

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im no winsheld wiper expert BUT cant you can pull off the whole arm and everything and put them on back on so the wipers are in the right spot or will that try to make them go down farther?

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

glad you got it.my wiring was backwards when i bought my k5 so it wouldnt even run.i didnt know that it had a negative swith that gave it more ground power with the 2 positions on the switch.i didnt know that the switchw=es ran like that.weird. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif