Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windsheild wipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

ok gentlemen, i was using my wipers on the way home today, and when i got home and went to turn them off instead of stoping at the bottom of my windsheild they went down, then came halfway back up. I dont get it. I can push them back down by hand, but any time i use them and turn them back off they stop halfway up. Do you guys have any idea what this could be?

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

On which vehicle?

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

sorry i didnt specify

its on my 96 S10 Blazer

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like a messed up park circuit in the motor. Don't know if it's repairable other than replacing the motor.

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

fwiw, my buddy just put a new wiper motor in his 84 k5 and instead of stopping in the down position, they stop at the top of their stroke!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That sounds like he has the motor arm 180° out. Should be a simple fix. Just take the arm off the motor, move the wipers down and re-attach the arm.

7. gmcman355

gmcman355 Registered Member

dont replace the motor yet it sounds like youve got a bad wiper circuit board. call your local gm dealer and they might replace it for free. i work at one and at least in this part of the country it fit into a special policy for certain years and vin breaks kinda like a recall but not quite

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Good call. I had forgotten about that.

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

but if he removes the arm and puts it at the bottom of its stroke, then the wiper motor would try to pull the wiper blade down onto the hood rather than pulling it up the windshield.

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

That's right. The factory repair manual's debugging chart for an '85 full-size says stopping anywhere but the usual "off" position is a symptom of a defective park switch on a bad terminal board (or a terminal board with dirty contacts). I didn't mention this earlier, because I wasn't sure how dissimilar an 85 full-size and a 96 S-10 were in the wiper department.:confused:

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

No.

A wiper motor just rotates around in a circle. The position of the linkage is what determines where the wipers go. Obviously, when he took the old motor out, he changed the position of something in the linkage and then put it together wrong.

If the wipers go back and forth and then park when the switch is shut off, then there is nothing wrong with the motor.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If he hadn't just replaced the motor, I would agree with you. But since he DID just replace the motor, then that's probably not the case.

13. 1985_K5_Silverado

I missed the motor replacement (sorry about that), and in that case, I'd lean your way. Like the "but I'm sure I don't have the distributor 180 deg out, really really sure - oh, no wait it is 180 out" thing that happens far too often.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

LoL... yeah, I've been that guy. :D