Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield and side glass issues- help...

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by blackno3goodwrench, Sep 20, 2004.

1. blackno3goodwrench

blackno3goodwrench Registered Member

I have an 88 K5. I am going to have the sliding side windows removed and replaced with tempered glass. I like the look of the single window vice the sliding window. I am also getting the windshield replaced. Total cost- $475. The windshield is 160 and the side windows are $315. Does this sound like a fair estimate? Thanks for your help.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, If I remember right I replaced my windshield, rear tailgate window, new weather stripping on all windows except roll ups, and did a complete custom tint job. The total was around $700 or so. I think I paid $135 for the windshield, 160 sounds just a little hi. For the side windows that sounds about right for the factory tinted windows. Dollar for dollar I would order the clear windows for over a 1/3 cheaper and then take them down to a tint shop and have them tinted and installed at the same time.
    If you have the time and don't mind used glass hit the wrecking yard and try and find a top with solid windows, you could probably easely walk away with a pair for $100.

Bottom line if I remember It was like $160 for tinted factory glass and $100 for non tinted from LMC. I would take the clear windows for $200 and get them installed and tinted for about $60. The local shop charged me $50 to tint my solids.

3. blackno3goodwrench

blackno3goodwrench Registered Member

Thanks for the help Guitar... I am okay with paying that amount, I just always check my math so I can see if i am being ripped off... How about a place to get some nerf bars??? they seem to be about $340. I am also downsizing my tires from 33's to 31's ... I figure my rear end and bearings will love me for it... so will the wallet at the gas pumps. Anyway, thanks for the input.