Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield antenna question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by JC50, Jun 3, 2002.

1. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

I had circuit city install a cd head unit and 4 speaker config recently. The technician says they could not find an antenna cable to plug in. The thing is I get fine reception for all stations on the radio and it displays as stereo signal also. Does the windshield type antenna work through the wiring harness somehow? Is there a cable connection from a windshield type antenna? Thanks for any info.

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I have an antenna connection for my head unit. I don't know why circuit city couldn't find yours. The stereo can still get reception without the antenna pluged in, just not very good reception. I left mine unpluged for a while once and I could still get stations on the radio.

3. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Those aftermarket windsheild antennas are little more than very thin wire(s) taped along the edges of the inside glass with what looks like clear packing tape. They are terminated with a connector like any other antenna would have. If you have one of these, it would be pretty obvious; you could easily see it along the windsheild edge.

Assuming your truck has a fixed antenna on the passenger fender like most, the wiring should be stuffed under the dash somewhere. The only other thing that I can think of is that someone disconnected the antenna wire at the point where it leaves the fender. Many people don't realize that there is a "cable extension" running from here to under the dash. Look for a loose connector/cable in the area just forward of where the underhood light is located. If your extension for reaching the dashboard is missing, you can buy a new one a radio shack.

And yes, a head unit will pull in stations with no antenna at all, but performance will not be the best.

4. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

I found the antenna connection for the windshield antenna at the base of the windshield. It obviously goes down under the dash. I'll go back and have them connect it to the head unit. I get all the stations I want to listen to alright but after paying $500 bucks for system and installation want the windshield antenna plugged in. Just a case of the guys installing not being on the ball I guess. Thanks for replies.

5. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

There should be a snap type plug at the bottom of your windshield in the Center. Then there will be a adapter that has a snap on one end and then a male connection on the other kind of like a nail. This will connect to a wire that is somewhat fixed to your dash. It does move a little. Then the Wire runs strait down the middle and comes out on the drivers side of the heater to go to the radio. Its a pain in the rear to get it all back in if it has fallen out. Pretty much have to remove the dash. I just held the wire as best I could from the bottom and inserted the nail end and then snapped on the snap to the window. Also its not a very long cord its just long enough so if you moved the stereo elswhere you may need and extentsion. This is all on a 78 K5 so yours may be different.

SummitXMK