Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield frame repair

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

After pulling of my hard top this past fall to discover a great deal of rot in the upper passenger side corner of the windshield. How have others dealt with this. This truck is by no means nice ..it is more a trail truck will fiberglass and resind do well to repair it. I am handy with it after repairing boats for a while? Any recommendations are welcome

Chris =)

I think the exhaust fumes have finally gotten to me!!

2. frito

frito Registered Member

well if its in the frame of the windshield like mine is on my k5 people usaly cut out sections around the window from a 67-72 truck and weld em in and unless you wanna just do a quick fix i dont thing you should glass the holes shut untill you weld some metal in over the holes because the fiberglass tends to crack if it dosnt have good enuf support behind it
    just my .02 cents =)

71 K5 Blazer,350/TH350/205 33's/ 2inch lift for now, soon to have 14B FF and D60 in a few weeks

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Well i wasnt so much worried about it cracking, since it is at the corner the only problem would be twisting if any occure at all. Mostly I just want to close up the hole and contour it . I am not talking bondo of course just so we are clear I mean thick horsehair mat and resin. I think with a few coats it aught to be pretty strong. like I said I am not looking for beautiy but functionality. Plus if i welded it up wouldn't I have to pul the windshield to do it?

Chris =)

I think the exhaust fumes have finally gotten to me!!